Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Charter Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can the windwings be installed after the windshield is installed? I am installing the windshield this week in a alraedy finished car and did not purchase the wings first so I am curious.
:confused:

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
No problem at all just practice the old technique of measure twice drill once.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Is it ok to drill the holes with the side arms attached to the glass?

I would think the vibration would cause large amounts of $$ to leave ones pocket once you crack the glass?

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
The side arms are chrome plated brass and drill quite easily with a sharp bit there is no significant vibration. and certainly nothing like the vibration you get from dirving. I think it is probably the only way to do the wings as you need to make sure that your holes will not interfere with the windshield anyway so it has to be on to get it right. And if you screw up the nice folks at finishline will get you a windshield real fast like they did for me last year at this time when my wife accidently put a baseball through the windshield. :mad:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
It probably is possible to break the glass while drilling the holes for the wind wings with the windshield installed,but I did'nt. :D BTW I dont know how everyone else installed they're wings,but I took Enzo's (Finishline) advise and drilled a couple of through holes in the windshield arm(behind the windshield frame)and used 10-32 stainless hardware to through bolt each mount to the windshield arm,this way there is no messing with the glass.Hint start with a small drill and work up to the finished diameter

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
Do it like Smitty sez and it will work out fine.

Frank.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I feel special. I didn't have to drill to install the windwings. The holes were already there and pre-tapped. I guess we early buyers got some perks.

Sean FFR 1011K

1 - 7 of 7 Posts