Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, although I had read a thread about care and feeding of wind wing assembly, I went right ahead and tightened the screws too tight and got immediate cracking at the bracket. I touched one and it fell right off.

The holes are countersunk, and if they werent this would not happen, but plexiglass cannot take the outward stress created by the very tight countersunk hole. If it were a plain button head screw with a washer it would do better.

That said I ran out and bought a small piece of Lexan and made new ones. Lexan is a little more expensive than plexiglas, but it is far and beyond tougher. It is used in bullet proof windows because of its ability to deform and absorb energy without cracking.

I made new wind wings out of the Lexan, countersunk holes, tight screws and all. They are now virtually unbreakable.

The following pictures show what happened to the wind wing, bad picture, but it shows.

The next picture is a demo of how tough lexan is. This is a piece I put in a vise and slammed with a hammer. It just bent over, no cracking, and in the bent state it is just as strong as it ever was. If you ever need a piece of plastic, dont waste your money on plexiglass if it has to be really strong or withstand local stresses, get the lexan. Well worth the money.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Shep,
What type of place typically handles lexan?
Thanks,

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Maybe try TAP plastics or even a hardware store. Question is, "how thick"?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I made mine out of glass and had them sent off ro be tempered. The tempering cost about $20 and the glass about $15. I used 3/16 glass. Looks great and no scratches.

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Lexan is the trade name for a polycarbonate material.

Plexiglass is a trade name for an acrylic material. Plexiglass has been around so long that it’s become a generic term that many people apply to all rigid, clear plastic sheet (sort of like Kleenex and Band Aids).

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any place the deals in plastics for signs will have Lexan. They will even cut it to order sometimes. My little piece cost me $10.00 bucks. The thickness of the wind wings is 3/16 inches.

You can cut it and sand and polish the edges and it comes out awsome. It does have to be treated like plastic, because it will scratch just like acrylic.

And average hardware store may have acrylic, but not lexan. Be sure and check.

The glass sounds awesome, but like a lot of work to me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
You can also smooth out the edges of lexan or glue lexan together with methylene chloride, special glues for lexan are also available and I think most of them are methylene chloride based. Although this may not be an issue here, you can make boxes, gaurds, enclosures... fairly easy, if I remember right the glue takes a couple of hours to setup.

·
Registered
448 Posts
If you are talking about cutting the glass, I just used my cracked lexan peice as a templet and used a standard glass cutter from the hardware store. I cut off the extra glass first, then the actual shape. It was very easy. ThenI took it to my local glass shop to have it tempered.

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the old one as a templet and marked it on the lexan. Do not take off the protective film. Then I cut it out with an electric hand jigsaw. I sanded the edges round with 100 grit paper and worked my way up to 400 grit. Then I polished the edges with plastic polish.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Do a search for lexan at www.mcmaster.com They have several different types, even have bullet proof, although it may be a little thick for use as a wind wing.

John

·
8,350 Posts
So far my FFR-supplied windwings and visors are holding up fine after 3000 miles; did have an issue after 500 miles with the hardware lossening up, but nothing since. However, I do not like the "scratched" look that results from wind buffeting. Tempered glass is a great idea, one of my winter projects. Thanks.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,026 Posts
Straight Lexan is less scratch resistant than acrylic. I have seen Lexan shaken in a polyethelene bag become scratched. Lexan (polycarbonate) does not like exposure to most chemicals and will stress crack. Polycarbonate can be "hard coated" (like glasses) and then it can be very tough.

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Question: How about Lexan w/"Stonegard"?

·
Senior Charter Member
2,501 Posts
On the FFR web site it says thay are Lexan. "The wings are made of durable Lexan and have the Factory Five name and logo etched into the lower side to distinguish your car from the rest."

·
Premium Member
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paul:

Trust me, the ones I got were not Lexan. The were about as fragile as they could be.

Al:

Lets see if mine last. How did they crack?? Was it crazing or a mechanical crack.

Looks like is got another interesting post going. I happen to have used lexan before everywhere on my boat and that is where my devotion to this material came from. Specifically in replacement of acrylic. I also love the little "break me if you can demo"

William:

How did you drill the holes in the glass. How did you finish the edges. What kind of a business tempers glass and what is the process. I am interested in this for when my lexan ones crap out.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I drilled the hole with a small drill bit first .it was the size of the bolt .I used a peice of bubble gum and made a puddle around the place the hole was going and filled it with machine oil to keep the drill bit from breaking the glass. Then i usesd a larger bit to made the bevel for the head of the bold. Just make sure you have a sharp bit.Or you could have a local glass shop do it for you.To temper glass they put it through some sort of a heating process.. It makes it alot stronger and causes it fall into the little peices if it breaks. your local glass shop can send it off for tempering for you.In fact you could just have them do it all, just take in you templet. I would think they wouldnt charge more than $50 to make the glass and have it tempered. Oh yeah you ask how I rounded the edges. I did the edges with a belt sander and then used a sanding block with finer sand paper to get it nice and smooth. Also make sure you drill the holes and round over the glass edges befor it is tenpered, because you cant drill tempered glass , it will shatter. I really like the looks of the glass and it is so easy to keep clean and no sratches!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
You've got to careful with tempered glass! You can only temper one side. A hit on the other side will shatter it. A tempered glass beaker can hammer nails in from the outside, but will shatter if you drop a ball bearing inside. That's why windshields are double layer, with the inside of both pieces being the fragile part.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts