Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

last year, I finished my FFRCobra MKIII with IRS,pindrive and 17" rims. I used 2piston GT PBR-calipers front and rear with a aimco Master cylinder with 7/8 bore.

After I raced on some tracks, I noticed, that the brakes seem to be too small.

Now I Think about installing a complete Wilwood 4 or 6 piston caliper-system.

Here my questions :

Anybody has some experience with that Wilwood brakesystems ?

Can I use 6-piston Wilwoods in front with the GT PBR in the rear ?

What about the Mastercylinder ? Need to get a new ?

Who sells Wilwood-kits for my FFR MKIII ?

Best regards from germany,

Stephan

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
Stephen,

What sort of track experience do you have?

I ask because a lot of times I've seen people with brake issues think its their calipers or overall brake setup when its not.

Were you running race compound pads and appropriate brake fluid to handle the high temps? If not, you should do that first.

The car weighs 2200lbs give or take -- you don't need 6 piston calipers for anything other than saying you have them. If you're racing you need to set the brakes up for it no matter what you're running.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I have SN95 mustang GT power brakes all around with stock semi-metallic pads. Every track event so far my instructor said the brakes are the best thing on this car. My last event was a long track, watkins glen NY - no probs.

·
Junior Charter Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks George and trevor,
are you using a brakebooster ?
I use drilled and ceramic coated rotors with hawk pads and it seems that I can't get enough power out of them...do you also use a brakedistributor ? If so, what is the best ? 1/3 rear and 2/3 front ?

Thanks,
Stephan

·
Charter Member
1,611 Posts
I'm not speaking specifically about a cobra, just in general. If you're not running pads meant for a track, you are going to have problems no matter what calipers you have.

It sounds like you need to spend some time dialing in what you've got before you look at replacing things. You'd have to do the same thing with a new brake setup and you won't get dramatically better performance out of a new setup.

In my experience the best reason to use a non-factory brake setup is that many of the aftermarket ones are easier to change pads and rotors on quickly at the track.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
If you want details on what the Wilwood setup will do, contact Gordon Levy.

·
3,875 Posts
I agree with Darren about contacting Gordon Levy at Levy Racing as he has a complete Wilwood brake system designed for the FFR.
Don

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
The key to stopping at the limit of what your tires will allow is to have enough brake from a heat dissapation perspective but not to have too much front brake from a braking torque perspective.

On slicks, you want about about 2.5-3 times "more" brake in front than than the rear, on street tires, it is only about 2:1. Too much front bias and you increase your stopping distances because you are not using all 4 tires to their full capacity.

If you have the budget, you can't go wrong with one of Gordon's packages.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.