·
Taken The Leap
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys
Hoping to get some feedback on a clearance issue Im having with the w
Willwood rear brake install.The
The photos below show the issue I have.
When assembled, the calliper body is hard up against the outside face of the rotor.
The Willwood installation guide says to install two shims between axle mounting plate and the calliper mounting plate. I wasn't able to install the shims because it would make my situation worse. Has anyone experienced this issue.
Only solution im seeing is to shave 2mm or so off the face of the calliper mounting plate which would centre the rotor.

Appreciate your thoughts.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Pretty typical problem

I can not tell from your photo as to which mounting bracket you have but I had to place a spacer washer between the caliper and the mounting bracket to get it to center. I also ended up buying longer bolts just to make me feel better but I don't think it's needed. 12mm X 35mm for the bolt

I believe the washer is metric. 12mm?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Caliper

By the looks of your photo it looks like your caliper need to move to the outside of the car by about 1/16". The spacer would get you there. Not sure where Wilwood suggests the spacer.

·
Registered
443 Posts
had a similar problem, the spacer will center it for you

·
Taken The Leap
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback but should I not have concerns about adding spacers to brakes, Im obviously not an Engineer but isnt there some pretty major forces at play in this area?
Anyone know if F5R are aware of this or am I just making an issue over something trivial?

I can not tell from your photo as to which mounting bracket you have but I had to place a spacer washer between the caliper and the mounting bracket to get it to center. I also ended up buying longer bolts just to make me feel better but I don't think it's needed. 12mm X 35mm for the bolt

I believe the washer is metric. 12mm?

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Adding Washers

I do not think that adding the washers is an issue. The washers I found were the correct thickness and about the same size as the lug on the caliper. There is virtually no change in contact surface between the bracket and the caliper. I did change the bolts out for a slightly longer ones because of over thinking the problem. I think the end result is fine.

Attachments

·
Junior Charter Member
2,916 Posts
I had the same issue just a couple weeks ago. I measured everything. What was off was that the holes in the caliper itself were off center on the drivers side by 1/16th. The passanger side was perfect with no spacers.

Wilwood sent me a new caliper. It was better, but not quite right. I filed the bracket surface that goes against the "C" bracket. It was a pain, but do-able.

You could have that bracket machined.

·
Taken The Leap
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys I dont think Ive explained myself correctly. Adding any shim at all makes it worse. To fix it would require either the bracket to be ground back or a different width boss section to the rotor.
In the pic the caliper is rubbing and this has no shim.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Wait... you sure you don't have the aluminum mounting bracket reversed? Yours looks reversed to this. Also note that the obstructing corner has to be ground off so the caliper seats correctly on the mount.

Mario

·
Taken The Leap
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Mario
Will check later and let you know.
Is the pic shown upside down? Or have you somehow mounted the calipers at the 2 oclock position?
Mine is fitting to the 3 link set up which yours does appear to be IRS? Is it possible the mounting brackets are handed?
Chris

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had this same issue then found out if you swap the mounting brackets everything will fall into place. this drove me crazy for weeks!!!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Thanks Mario
Will check later and let you know.
Is the pic shown upside down? Or have you somehow mounted the calipers at the 2 oclock position?
Mine is fitting to the 3 link set up which yours does appear to be IRS? Is it possible the mounting brackets are handed?
Chris
Yea, that pic is of an IRS installation but it demonstrates that the brackets are not symmetrical and so would be for specific sides. I assume by "handed" you mean a right and left side so yes, that is correct. So do what Adam did and swap em and see what happens.

Mario

·
Taken The Leap
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys yes it was the "U" mounting bracket which bolts to the rear end on the 3 link. I found that I didnt end up fitting the shims between the caliper and its mount though?
Seems to spin ok(now all my nice powder coat is gone) so Ill bleed them and see how we go.
Thanks for the feedback.
Chris

·
Premium Member
5,149 Posts
Chris, In your photos are the calipers at the bottom of the rotor as in the caliper is hanging twoards the street?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.