Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kit comes next week.

New IRS/3.55 and brakes but I went 11" on the brakes cause I want the old look of the 15"s tall fat Goodyear white letters. If I use my spare set of 17"s sometimes will the brakes look silly.

Brand New to the site.

Craig

331/Mass air

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Craig,

I have pin drive width IRS with Fox rotors front and T-Bird rears on my MK I Cobra. My street wheels are 15 inch GT 40s. For open track my wheels are 17 inch Cobra Rs.

The large group of Cobra and GT 350 owners I run with know how well these rotors with Porterfield R4 pads slow the car from 130 mph to 90 mph deep into turn one without fading during the 20 minute sessions.

If anyone has an opinion about the looks they haven't said anything and my reply would be along the lines of when they will be running with us.

Roger

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
I don't think looks will be the big question...A lot will depend on the quality of the discs and pads you are using...
I'm not an engineer, but I would think that a 17" wheel acting on an 11" rotor, will put a lot more stress on the components, than a 15" wheel on an 11" rotor...Kind of like a big-handled wrench on a small nut , compared to a smaller handled wrench on the same nut...Roger is doing it, but with racing components...Just my 2 cents.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
I believe that a 15 inch wheel with a 70 series tire has approx the same overall diameter that a 17 inch wheel and a 40 series tire has, therefore the same braking torque on the rotors. Pete

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
here's mine...

17 x 9 wheel with 245/45/17 tire, PBR caliper, 11" rotor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts