Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Cobraholic
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has informed me that until I become a millionaire I cannot buy a Cobra. We have to small kids, retirement, etc and we can't afford to spend 25K + on a car that she doesn't even trust me to build. Can you believe her?

So I'm taking donations to become a millionaire now. Please send donations to

Joseph Tart
5324 Fairmead Circle
Raleigh, NC 27613

All donators are eligible for a free ride once it's built.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Unknown
399 Posts
If she "doesn't even trust" you to build it...buy one pre-built! That takes care of one issue. Now how you get the money together...i'll leave that one for you.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
If you have two small kids and don't have a bunch of extra cash then your wife is right. These things suck money! You need to dedicate your money and your time to your family now. I had a street rod when I got married and made the decision to sell it when our third child was born. BUT I told my wife that the itch wasn't going away. My son (youngest)just started his senior year in college and I got my kit in March. Don't give up on your Cobra but keep your priorities straight! Hang in there!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
The cobra was the first thing I bought (after 10 years of serious desire) once those things your wife mentioned were taken care of and would be the first thing to go if necessary.

·
Still broke & dreaming...
2,205 Posts
Find someone locally to take her for a ride in one! That should help a little...just not monetarily. :D

·
Jack of all trades - expert at nothing
4,395 Posts
then tell her, the kitchen remodel is off, because you can't trust her to design it!

or the next diamond,
or the living room set,
or her new car,

Thank God I stayed single!
One Checkbook-One vote!!

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
i have four kids and the ususal mortgage/bills/retirement/college plans and built a car...it's all about making choices...i was on the FFR mailing list for 5 years before i ordered my kit...saving the whole time for the day i would place the order.

i drive a base model '99 VW Jetta - no options on the car - with basic insurance, i pack my own lunch to work, i don't buy expesive shoes, sunglasses, fancy clothes...or anything like that...i mow my own lawn, maintain my own cars, don't go on expensive vacations, don't pay for HBO or other premium TV channels...well you get the picture.

my car is a donor build with some upgrades along the way. i spent a lot of time and elbow grease finding parts at bone yards in good used condition that were upgrades to what i had and prep'ed them myself, and bought used parts from guys here on the forum too.

it's been tough at times to not buy "stuff", and to not have all those other things, BUT i have a Cobra in the garage!

i really need to say, however, that i've had a very supportive wife through it all.

Start saving now, and cut out some of those other things we all spend money on that we could live without, and it'll happen.

Good Luck!

[ September 10, 2007, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: SCracer ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
If money is the issue, then give something up for it. Start a cobra saving account. Whether you put $10 a week in there, save all your lose change, give up beer, your bowling league, going out for lunch, whatever - put that money in that account. She can not deny that you are making a scarifice - setting your personal priorities.

Be patient and do not give up on your dreams. I am waiting also, but have to take care of college for my oldest first. After college, the cobra seems like a bargain!

·
Over Engineerer
2,921 Posts
Originally posted by Jay P:
...Thank God I stayed single! One Checkbook-One vote!!
Dude, I'd rather have my wife & kids than any car in the world.

Joe - If you guys are starting in the same place as my wife & I then perhaps she's right. I and many others here had to wait until the important things were funded before we could start playing with expensive toys. I had cheaper hot rods and Jeeps when my kiddos were young and we were just starting our careers. It only took 20 years to make it to this point in life ;)

·
Cobraholic
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the advice guys. I think I will start a Cobra Savings Account. I'm afraid though if my wife finds out, she'll try to turn in into another IRA or college fund!

I guess I'm gonna have to save and wait...I'm sooo jealous of you guys!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,168 Posts
Refractor,
The Cobra savings account is a great idea ... you just need to let your wife in on the concept. I can just see the steam coming out of her ears when she finds out you have a "Secret Cobra Account" [and she will find out]. Best to negotiate up front. Let her know how much you are putting away and how you can afford it. She should agree, especially if you are doing extra work to come up with the extra $$.
And ... find a Cobra owner in the Raleigh area. You both need to take a ride. Best sales tool ever.
Good Luck,
Pete

·
Junior Charter Member
292 Posts
I recycle aluminum. 75 cents a pound. It doesn't sound like much but over the last 2 years I saved $4000 just in aluminum. Now I'm getting married and she told me if we use the money now in 3 years I can get one!!!!! It would have taken me about six more years to get one otherwise. As far a the aluminum its not cans, old storm windows. Go to the replacement window companies dumpsters and voala free money!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
985 Posts
Observe your children. What do they do to get Mom to give in? Sitting on the floor and crying isn't unmanly if it scores you a Cobra!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as Joe. I've got two kids, I'm 34 and I have a decent paying job. But it's been hard for me to convince my wife we need to spend $25K on a car that I have to build when she's not so sure I can build it in the first place. I can only speak for myself when I say that I'd rather not wait until my kids are going into college (or later) to get a Cobra. I don't want to wait for retirement to enjoy it. I'd rather enjoy it now while I'm still relatively young! She doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a Cobra, but we've been out shopping for $30K travel trailers in the last few months (loan, not cash). One day I'll convince her! (hopefully sooner than later)
I've been looking for 5 years and it's driving me insane.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,224 Posts
Use the Cobra as the college fund. Depending on the age of your children you should have a few years to enjoy it before you have to cash it in.

·
FFRroadster builder
961 Posts
Joe, I really hate agreeing with your wife,BUT,she is right. You really CANNOT build an MKIII for 25,000. It takes at least 35,000 for an average build. I just built mine,am 50 years old,no mortgage,all college bills paid,wedding paid and pension pretty well funded.Finally correct time to build this crazy car.Yes,pretty nice car,partial donor build----42,000 $$. Guys on Forum won't tell you what they spent because afraid wife will blow a gasket. Be patient and do the right thing for your kids and family.You will ENJOY it when you can AFFORD it !! John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,884 Posts
Joe -
keep your wife in the loop! I did the cobra savings acct and was able to save for half the kit and then got one on sale! 13k plus 2200 in extras! I will come in around 20k doing all my own body work/paint. Bought donor parts off forum members and ebay, cheaper that way! You can do it. I have 4 kids, and they will always come 1 st! Good luck!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.