Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of a small air cleaner on a big motor. I have a 351 with a Victor Jr intake and a holley 700dp. WOndering if the hellings air cleaner with a K&N filter will fit.

I searched and searched but couldnt find a 7-8" drop base filter setup. Anyone know of any?

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ttt

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I'm not sure a dinky air filter like that can support the airflow of your motor, even with a K&N in it.

Have you looked at a 13" round like the Ford Racing drop base chrome unit? Even with a 2.5" tall K&N in that assembly, it still barely flows enough air for your motor.

I ran that air filter with a Victor Junior and a 1" spacer and it cleared the hood just fine.

With your taller 351W deck, it should have the same clearance, if not a tad more if you aren't running a spacer.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I have a 427w Edelbrock RPM intake with poly engine mounts and the hellings inside of the turkeypan. THe air flow was bad at best. I changed out the air filter to a 3" tall 7" round and things were much better. I have a 13 round with 3" K&N also and the oval but that killed my engine (not due to air flow)

I am looking at a dyno test using both set-ups just to see if this air flow stuff is really a factor. I can say that seat of the pant dyno the stock hellings with filter is restrictive

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WnstWolf- so the 3" x 7" fit without a dropbase? Where did you get this setup? Im not using the turkey pan.

Thanks.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
The 3.5 tall K&N came from Auto-zone I just took my air cleaner holder with me and opened all the boxes until I got a tall one to fit the base. I will look for the part number if you would like..

The actual air cleaner holder originally came with my Engine Factory Engine. It just fits the turkey pan as far as width. Sorry I have no info on where that came from but Finishline Hellings unit is very close to the look of mine...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.