Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tell me more

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I educated myself and I know a little more about the AOD vs the C6.

AOD = overdrive gear, fairly strong

C6 = 3 gears, very strong

I'm wondering about the size of both. Wish I could see a C6 sitting besides a AOD. The AOD would be the way to go if I knew it could hold up.

Tifford

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, good color choice. Looks just like my yellow cobra.

Tifford

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Tiff-
I'm running a C6 and it works, but it's in an Integrity car. Let me know if I can help you out with some measurements or pictures.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,025 Posts
The C6 is noted for robbing a lot of power. It is tough as nails though. Sorry no help on fit.

·
Charter Member
682 Posts
They make large and small bell housings for the C6 depending on what it came out of. A C6 off of a big blok is rather large and a C6 off a small block is about the size of a FMX, AOD or C4 roughly I'm just not sure about the length. The AOD is easier so I could use the same drive shaft and also had some room to recess the B&M into the tunnel take a look at my pics for more shots of an AOD. My dad has the small C6 at his shop, he is saving it for a street rod.

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are right about the C6 robbing HP. I read somewhere that it robbed 60 HP. That thing must be bullet proof.

Alright....I've called a couple of companies and all said that the AOD and C4 can be built up to handle over 500 HP.

With the AOD, do I want an 11 inch tail housing or the 10 1/4" (I think that was the right measurement).

By the way, the C4 is fairly cheap compared to the AOD.

·
Senior Charter Member
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How many times can it handle it is also a good question.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,399 Posts
I'm in the process of installing a Lentech in my MK1. He pretty much is the AOD guru, but you do pay! He tells me about 1800 hp cars using his trans.At one time a lifetime warranty came with the trans, but due to operator errors it's only 3 years now. His change keeps the torque converter hooked up in 3rd and od, and greatly increases band pressures. We'll see!
Marc A

·
Senior Charter Member
4,270 Posts
The only problems I ran into with the AOD were really minor:

1. Had to cut off 2 tabs from the tranny housing with to clear the engine bay 3/4" tubes.

2. had to fabricate a hangar bracket for the tranny dipstick.

3. Had to remove a small amount of material from the rear mounting bracket (or just add a 1/4" shim).

4. shifter placement and linkage took a bit of fabrication as well, mainly just some angle brackets to place the stock shifter to the FFR supplied frame rails.

all in all pretty easy stuff. The main weakness the AOD suffers is the OD servo and OD band. Replace these with and A+ rated servo and a kevlar OB band and your set for 400+HP. A shift kit really wakes it up too. Anything beyond that, you should take a look at Lentech(mentioned above), or Bauman engineering.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
I have the C-6 in my big block mustang. Very very strong, car was previous drag car and after many many runs a full tear down found little if any wear and tear. 475 hp 428 cj motor..

on the other hand the thing is huge and as mentioned can rob about 50hp

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
I've got the small C6 with a shift kit and 2000 (or so) stall but haven't driven it- can anyone tell me if it sucks as much power as the big-block C6? I imagine they might be the same internally?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts