Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a 91 donor with 4 lug but want to convert to 5 lug. I understand from searching around that I should use two Ranger drivers side axles. Is it possible to use mustang 5 lug axles? I've seen a conversion kit advertised that says it works for mustang 5.0 86-93 as well as other places that state they have "mustang 5 lug axles" for converting from 4 lug to 5 lug.

Bottom line is, will other axles work besides the drivers side Ranger axles?

Thanks bunches!

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
I can't help you much with your exact question, but I was looking through the Ford Motorsport's catalog I just got in the mail, and Ford sells a conversion kit and if I remember correctly, it was only around $250. It includes the axles and drums. So, it may cost a little more than junk yard parts (assuming you can find a yard that will dissasemble a rear for you) but you will have brand new parts. You might want to check it out.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I bought the conversion kit as stated above from Summit. I ditched the drums and just used the axles with Richard Obens brake brackets. I originally bought a 94-95 5 lug disk brake rear, but the axles are too long (+.75" on each side from the 87-93, 4 lug).
I think the 5 lug conversion kit is a good way to go if you cant find any used Ranger axles. FYI, the 87-93 STOCK Mustang axles are 4 lug only. You have to buy Ranger or a conversion kit for 5 lug. HTH

·
4,318 Posts
AeroStar axle will work also. can't remember which side, I know it's the longer of the 2.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Like the others stated I used the Summit ? ford motorsports 5 lug kit it was $185. I had to do this with the Ford Motorsports new rear-end and the M-2300 cobra rear brake kit due to the fact that a fox body car is a bit wider than the Cobra. FFR fixes this with the wheels offset. during the build I asked big brother back at the factory and was told that what I had would work.. Put the body on and the fender edge just rubbed the tire. if I jacked the suspension way up it would have worked but....

Anyways the conversion kit axles are about 3/4 inch shorter and were a perfect fix. Oldguyjoe had a similar experience and is a wealth of knowledge on this matter...

in the end the call to Summit or one of the other supporter vendors is never a bad thing and could be easier in the long run...

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
VD,

I got the Ford Motor Sports kit from Forte's and it worked perfectly. The negative about junkyard parts is that the axles have wear surfaces plus the drums will probably be shot. Might as well buy new because you will probably have to replace these junkyard drums anyway.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Viperdude,
I have the new 5 lug drum brake length axles, rotors, calipers & more.
Mike Forte

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I called around the junk yards looking for ranger axles. For a change, the Ford Motorsports conversion kit was quite a bit cheaper than going with junk yard parts.

·
2,990 Posts
I agree with Feddersen. If I had to do it all over again I would have bought the new axels from Richard at North Racecars.

·
Senior Charter Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, so if I buy the Ford Motorsports conversion kit with drum brakes, can I then decide later on to purchase a disk brake conversion that will work with these same drum axles?

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Yes. The only difference is the axles for the ranger are not going to be hub centric compared to our axles. Lug centric will do the job just fine as many have done that. If budget is part of the equation and it always is we can send the axles and the brackets out in advance and you can add the discs and calipers as time and money permits. If you wanted to you could ream the drums and use them on our axles untill you went discs. Either way staying FX track is the best answer. HTH, Cheers Richard. PS click on the brakes page on the site for more info. Cheers Richard.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hub Centric
I love that kind of talk.

jack

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Bottom line is, will other axles work besides the drivers side Ranger axles?
Yes there are other options. 5 lug SN95 axles will work and you can use the standard SN95 brakes without any bracket or any other add on's. For that matter if you have a complete SN95 rear end just bolt it up and order your wheels to compensate for the differance in backspace. If you don't have a SN95 Rear end I have found used rear ends, complete with brakes for $200.00 or less. The added cost of ordering wheels from Team III or PSE or replica Cobra R's with the additional backspace. $0.00 If your wondering what the car looks like with a SN95 rear end, here you go.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
418 Posts
I have a 1989 donor and wet to the five lug as well. Try Mustangs Unlimited in Ct. 1-888-398-9898 or Ga. at 1-888-229-2929. I got the Ford Racing kit for the 79-93 Mustang/Capri. Kit includes (2)28-tooth axles and (2) (9" brake drums. 4.5" bolt pattern. Kit #m1126a... $199.95.. If you don't have their catalog just ask and they will send one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts