Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Will 5" gauges fit with street layout

634 views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Bill_VA 
#1 ·
I hav never seen this.....Probably for a reason.

#3 ·
5" Classic Instruments tach and speedo in the street layout. It took allot of measuring and repositioning of the cutouts so they would fit correctly. John

#5 ·
They're a bit on the large size, but they're great. Actually, the carbon fiber dash is about 3/4" shorter in height than the aluminum ones (who knows why) and I couldn't fit a 5" guage to the left of the steering wheel on my car so I took another path and just layed the guages out the way I wanted to, that's what's so great about these cars. If you're going for an authentic look then you might want to stick with the 3.5" units. Make paper photocopies of all your dash elements (guages and switches) and lay it all out until you find a layout that works for you.

http://www.*******.com/4bill/100_0678.jpg

FYI, on my layout, you can see the higher end of the rpm band as clear as day through the steering wheel. I actually thought about rotating the tach with redline at the top of the guage but I didn't want to explain it to everyone who didn't know why racecars do this.

http://www.*******.com/4bill/100_1458a.jpg

#6 ·
I'm planning on using the Autometer Street Rod series gauges in Arctic White. http://autometer.com/cat_gaugesize.aspx?sid=17&opId=5
They go up to 7000 (2 1/16 or 3 1/8) or 8000 RPM (3 3/8 or 5") and 120 MPH (all sizes) so you aren't "wasting" a good section of a 10,000 RPM or 180 MPH gague. I think a 5" spedo on the right side of the steering wheel and a 3 3.8 tach would look more balenced as the dash rolls off.

Mike

[ February 10, 2007, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Michael Stora ]

#7 ·
I have a 5" Tach and Speedo. Just use the Box they come in and tape the circle from the box that the gauge sets in to the dash to find out where they fit best (rememeber to take into consideration where the steering wheel will be so that the gauges are not blocked from view). I like the idea of the 5" Gauges because they are EASY to see at a glance. I prefer function over form. If I had to choose one large gauge and one small one due to limited space, the Speedo would be the small one. Personally I really want to know what my Tach says.

#8 ·
Agree with Smitty but I did get a 5" speedo as well. This is now it turned out with Autometer Ultralights:

Keep in mind, I didn't go with the standard arrangement with FFR. I chose the "Competition" version so I had to order a blank dash. It does make it tougher to line up switches and such but it does work.

#9 ·
Originally posted by Smitty:
I have a 5" Tach and Speedo. Just use the Box they come in and tape the circle from the box that the gauge sets in to the dash to find out where they fit best (rememeber to take into consideration where the steering wheel will be so that the gauges are not blocked from view). I like the idea of the 5" Gauges because they are EASY to see at a glance. I prefer function over form. If I had to choose one large gauge and one small one due to limited space, the Speedo would be the small one. Personally I really want to know what my Tach says.
I agree with function over form. What's your redline? Have you compaired the linear spacing of the numbers on a 5" 10,000 RPM tach with a smaller 7,00 or 8,000 tach? Not much difference . . .

Mike

#10 ·
What's your redline? Have you compaired the linear spacing of the numbers on a 5" 10,000 RPM tach with a smaller 7,00 or 8,000 tach? Not much difference . . .
I'm not saying the smaller set-up is bad....in fact I even started with a smaller gauge set. I'm just saying that I will take any and every advantage I can get...and for these tired eyes a 5" gauge is an advantage. So yes I have compared and after 6 years of use (1 yr with the small set-up and 5 yrs with the 5" set up) find the 5" gauges easier to read quickly, and personally I would not use a smaller gauge.

#12 ·
Thanks everyone.

On a side note,why do I see so many go carts with the gauges installed in the uncovered dash?Why cant you put the vinyl on before the gauges and bo done with it??Is there a reason??

Thanks again
Bart

#13 ·
Most people setup their gauges, build the dash harness, and test everything without the vinyl in place just as a precaution to prevent damaging the vinyl. We did the same thing.

Once everyhing is locked in place and the harness is build and you have verified everything works it doesn't take much time to dissasemble, cover the dash, and then put everything back in.

During wiring and testing:

And with the dash complete and body fitting:

HTH...
Mark

#15 ·
Originally posted by MD:
Another one just for reference. I did the 5" CF to the left on my Mark1.5. It was more function for me, and I really like the 5" gauges.

Michael
I sat in a Mk1.5 just like that yesterday with a 15" wheel and the visibility was great. However, move the wheel an inch and a half or so to the left like in a Mk III, and you'll have trouble fitting the gauge.

Mike

#18 ·
Originally posted by Michael Stora:
I sat in a Mk1.5 just like that yesterday with a 15" wheel and the visibility was great. However, move the wheel an inch and a half or so to the left like in a Mk III, and you'll have trouble fitting the gauge.

Mike
I would not argue with Richard :D (hence the point about mine being Mk1.5), but now I understand why he is right about the MkIII.

The Mk III wheel position probably feels more natural a little to the left, but I'm afraid my long arms would be hitting the door while doing track maneuvering.

Michael

#20 ·
Hoofa,

Call FFR, they will trade your 3" speedo and tach for 5" guages for a small charge. This is assuming you got the others from them too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.