Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
We have about the same situation. In order to get WiFi around our house, garage and 1/4 mile driveway, I had to go with a 7 access point Ubiquiti network. I set up this system back in 2015 and has been rock solid sense. We tried using one router or even multiple access points, but the mobile devices would not switch networks well. Having one SSID is really the only way to go. The Ubiquiti equipment is really good and priced right. The set up can be a hassle.

When my boss asked for help on his large house, I tried the single router mounted high and in the middle of the house and it did not work. Ubiquiti just released their own Mesh network WiFi. I showed up at his house and 15 minutes later we had the system covering the house and garage. The mesh network just worked. Stay away from extenders like just about everyone has stated. The Mesh devices work like having multiple access points. There are many companies that make Mesh networks, like Eero, Ubiquiti, TP-Link, Google, etc.

Ubiquiti Mesh as an example.
https://www.amazon.com/AmpliFi-Ubiquiti-Seamless-Wireless-Extenders/dp/B01L9O08PW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1539615324&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=ubiquiti&psc=1&smid=A3BZSEFEO5WH3V

My rule of thumb is to hard wire Cat 6 to any devices that does not move. Stuff like desktop computers, TVs, etc. Get as much off of the WiFi as you can so it is only for mobile devices. This takes some work but the end result is much less high bandwidth traffic on the WiFi.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
What Brastic said! Ubiquity all day long. It’s installed in my house and has been for probably 5 years. I have probably 80-90 APs connected and managed on an AWS server and never a burp from any of them.

Brian

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,700 Posts
Do you really want your wifi to have such a huge range that the neighbors can use it? I sure don't. There was a thread on another forum recently discussing someone hacking into a home wifi who was able to talk to the baby via the baby monitor and to adjust the heat to 90 degrees.

·
Charter Member
1,773 Posts
I dug under sidewalks with a garden hose and a 12' driveway with a pressure washer. Slid the conduit under the driveway and filled around it with sand. Using water to move the sand.
An battery operated forklift with 3,000 lb load has drove over the driveway for two years now with no cracks or problems.
Used the 1 1/2" conduit to get CAT 5 cables from one building to another. In your case I would use 1" conduit or little larger. Easy to pull in.
Pretty easy.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So for this winter I'm using a Nest outdoor camera on our house looking down on the road and garage. It has worked well.

Very interesting what I can see as the neighbors walk their dogs on the road. I've called them out for not cleaning up, without naming them, in a community email. :surprise:

Looks like the car is safe though.

Again, thanks for the comments. I like Dewight's idea so I can run a hardline under the road.

Next winter should not be a problem as I'll be able to drive the car south with me. 95% complete now and this summer will be the summer of the car. Interesting as I've said that before and other major projects seem to come up that are more important at the time. This is our second move to a smaller house since we've retired.

Thanks again, George

·
Premium Member
10,830 Posts
65' should be no problem whatsoever... I would think you could manage that with a couple of cheap wifi routers with decent external antennas. One set up in AP mode in a window of the house facing the garage and one set up as a repeater in a window of the garage facing the house.

Or, you could go this route...

I have this pair working flawlessly day in and day out 800' apart.

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-NanoStationM2-Bundle-NanoStationM-Outdoor/dp/B01EX6YHLO

Hook one to your modem or switch in the house and the other to a WIFI Router set up in AP mode in the garage.

Works great...even when streaming HD content.

And they're 100% weatherproof. Mine are outside, mounted on antenna poles, and have been for years.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
22,700 Posts
Figure out a strain relief method for the house and garage and hang the cat6 overhead. I know it's not the same but I have 3 double flood lights mounted in trees w/ extension cords between them which light up the wooded side of our lot (that area is about 3/4 acre) for dog walking in the dark. Been there for 3 years.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
For my 10x16 R/C workshop in the back yard, which is about 40-50 feet from the house, I use an ASUS router setup as a repeater in my shop. I unscrewed one of the fixed antennas and installed a small antenna with about a five foot cable and placed it on the ledge of my shop window. I get a nice connection for my shop computer and I have a wi-fi repeater signal inside the shop for mobile devices (phone, tablet, etc.).

All I'm doing is Facebook, surfing for instructions/videos, some Pandora music, etc. I've done streaming of Netflix, etc. and that works fine as well. Several options here for sure...

Mark

·
Premium Member
10,830 Posts
For my 10x16 R/C workshop in the back yard, which is about 40-50 feet from the house, I use an ASUS router setup as a repeater in my shop. I unscrewed one of the fixed antennas and installed a small antenna with about a five foot cable and placed it on the ledge of my shop window. I get a nice connection for my shop computer and I have a wi-fi repeater signal inside the shop for mobile devices (phone, tablet, etc.).

All I'm doing is Facebook, surfing for instructions/videos, some Pandora music, etc. I've done streaming of Netflix, etc. and that works fine as well. Several options here for sure...

Mark
:thumbup: Glad it's still working well for you. When this thread came up, I tried to search for your old thread on the subject but couldn't find it.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts