Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok she starts and runs fine but there is a wierd noise that seems to be emitting from the back half of the block. At first I thought it might just be a blown exhaust gasket making a "tuc, tuc, tuc" sound, but that is not the case. If I hold her at a constant 1500 RPM it is a continuous "tuc tuc" sound. It is definitely not from the front. Please tell me it is not a flywheel..............
Posi.........................

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not exhaust, that's the first thing I checked.
Would the flywheel weight begin to rub after 14,000 miles? I'm thinking it is something in that region though.......UGH!!!!!!!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
If your sure it's comming from the tranny and not the motor it's possible to have a loose flywheel bolt,or pressure plate bolt loose. Slightly depressing the clutch pedal should most times make a noise from them go away or change in loudness. How does the clutch action feel? Seem like more or less travel is needed to engage or disengage clutch while driveing?
Maybe unbolt bottom of spacer plate that goes between blockk and tranny so you can see inside if any metal filings are present to indicate a rub.

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
3:45 PM 11/27/06
She just got loaded on flatbed. She's off to Duffee Motorsports (www.duffeemotorsports.com) in Glendale, AZ to be diagnosed.
I MISS HER ALREADY !!!!!
Posi..............

·
Charter Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just to let you know. the noise was caused by 2 collapsed lifters. One of the lifters was pitted at the bottom and it scored the cam. So...new cam, lifters and valve components....Merry Christmas to the bank account...
But she runs fine now. Duffee Motorsports did an excellent job, very professional.
Posi.................

·
2,860 Posts
Thanks for getting back with the actual problem.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
I'm sorry I missed the original post. I would have commented exactly what you said it was...

Because the same thing happened to me years ago in my Mustang.

#3 exhaust lifter...

The lifter's needle bearings in the roller tip failed and caused the roller follower to catch and drag on the cam lobe.

The sound you heard was the play in the valvetrain from the roller lifter effectively becoming shorter with the needles blown out of the roller...

Glad you got it fixed though...

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts