Factory Five Racing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
There are many posts related to frustrating and costly engine problems encountered by pulling individual pieces together and building it yourself. Search under "engine" and "problem" and read some of the 300 threads. Unless I had a proven recipe of parts, the tools and knowledge/help to do it right AND it had significant $ savings or performance advantage over a crate, I wouldn't bother.

·
Senior Charter Member
375 Posts
People with high self-esteem:

Have confidence in themselves.

Have ability to solve problems rather than just worry about them.

Have the ability to confront or eliminate the things that frighten them.

Have the ability to take reasonable risks and take those risks.

confidence, pride, is the reason I'm doing own engine, transmission and rear rebuild. Pay attention to detail and use the right tools. My .02cents

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
People with high self-esteem:

Have confidence in themselves.

Have ability to solve problems rather than just worry about them.

Have the ability to confront or eliminate the things that frighten them.

Have the ability to take reasonable risks and take those risks.

confidence, pride, is the reason I'm doing own engine, transmission and rear rebuild. Pay attention to detail and use the right tools. My .02cents
Uh huh,
Excuse me while I slink back under the rock which I hide under all day, because I have no self esteem, confidence or pride. :rolleyes: Someday you may learn about the consequences of poor judgement, being in over your head and the concept of risk vs return. However, in the meantime, if I were you I would save the 2/10 of a cent that you are offering and put them in the bank and hope they compound because with an all balls no brains attitude like that, someday you will need all the $$$ you can muster to pull your a$$ out of a situation that you underestimated because you have "high self-esteem".
Just my 2.00 cents.

Trent

[ December 31, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: TRENT ]

·
Senior Charter Member
580 Posts
My cost to refresh a 302 or 351w ia less than $400. You can build a 393 stroker for less than $900. using the STD.302 pistons. These cost do not include any labor. I enjoy this as a HOBBY and I,m not trying to make a living as such. I can under stand why some people want Crate motors and then some people want to build their own engines. I really have to laugh when you say Warranty and Race Motors in the same sentance. Most of the Engine Warranty's Expire before you finish your COBRA. Get a Good TITLE Co. to do your paper work the way you want it to read the FIRST time.

·
Senior Charter Member
580 Posts
My cost to refresh a 302 or 351w ia less than $400. You can build a 393 stroker for less than $900. using the STD.302 pistons. These cost do not include any labor. I enjoy this as a HOBBY and I,m not trying to make a living as such. I can under stand why some people want Crate motors and then some people want to build their own engines. I really have to laugh when you say Warranty and Race Motors in the same sentance. Most of the Engine Warranty's Expire before you finish your COBRA. Get a Good TITLE Co. to do your paper work the way you want it to read the FIRST time.

·
Senior Charter Member
375 Posts
"confidence" Yes, I turn my first head bolt 47 years ago...and that 2 cent was invested in waterfront property years ago in Florida. all balls Son...........

·
8,160 Posts
If you want experience you have to pay for it. Nothing is free, especially education. There are a wide range of car people, those who want to do everything possible themselves and those that just want to drive and will be happy writing a check to do so. Does it really matter? I don't think so, at least in most instances.

Just because someone does not have credentials, or a business letter head, etc does not mean they cannot do a great job at whatever they might take on. Just look at the number of exceptional cars self built by forum members. Paint, upholstery, wiring, fabrication etc all done by the owner. Yes, building a motor, or trans or rear end is different, it requires special skills and tools as well as in depth knowledge of what you are doing but none of this is completely out of reach of someone that is willing to put in the time and effort. A lot of the critical issues in performing this type of work are not obvious and do require knowledge and at least some level of experience. However if we never stretched our abilities where would we be? Probably still in diapers.

Yes building your own engine may cost you money for the mistakes and the education but there are other far more critical things on the typical build that have not been mentioned. I cringe sometimes reading posts where for instance a clutch or flywheel has been installed without correct torque specs, thread locker or leaving out the dowel pins. Or that brakes or suspension components have been installed incorrectly, or torqued wrong, or wrong fasteners used. These are common post topics and real safety issues but nobody gets all over these guys the same way that those that chose to build their own engines are getting criticised in this thread. If you are not sure what you are doing get someone who is to look over your shoulder. It shouldn't matter if it's your main bearings or front suspension. On everything you do on your build you should stop frequently and just ask yourself am I sure this is correct? If you are not 100% sure get advice from someone who is qualified to review what you have done. By the way there are self proclaimed "experts" everywhere, be careful that the advise you take is correct and not just somebodies opinion. It is almost always safest to refer to a manual or technical publication such as a Ford service manual rather than have faith in word of mouth.

You can afford to make all kinds of mistakes on your build, that's part of the experience, but there are some things that can kill you if you get it wrong. Please consider your safety constantly along the way in everything you do on your build.

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
I personally have no issue with anyone who decides to build their engine, I've built many and I commend them for it. What I do take issue with is Blowhards who pompously put themselves up as real pioneers because they "took chances" while intimating those who opted not to build their engine are inferior and lack the self-esteem to do it. It was a cheap shot and I think it is classless. This forum is about helping, experience, brotherhood and the sharing of a common hobby, not put downs and false bravado at others expense.

Trent (Make My Day's new "Son"... another condescending put down) :rolleyes:

·
Senior Charter Member
375 Posts
Sorry, but not putting anyone down, willing to help anyone that needs it here. You know: inch pounds vs foot pounds...

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
As I said before, this forum is about helping, experience, brotherhood and the sharing of a common hobby, not put downs and false bravado at others expense.

As far as the inch pound vs. foot pound crack, for those of you who read one of my posts about stupid things we've done, I once torqued a diesel injector using foot pounds in lieu of inch pounds and damaged the head. And Mr. Make My Day has brought this up in attempt to either a) embarrass me or b) re-assert his superiority.

Whatever, I have to back to reading Dr. Phil as the mean inch-man hurt my little feeling. Knob :rolleyes:

Trent

[ December 31, 2005, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: TRENT ]

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
2,078 Posts
Cobrastang,
My Dad and I have a 64 1/2 Mustang. I took out the 302 engine, had it cleaned, baked, bored 30 over, crank 10 under and had new rod bolts installed and pistons mounted $550. I then rebuild the entire motor with all new parts/fasteners including Aluminum heads. I reused my distributor, intake and carb. I now have a 325-350 hp motor for a total of $2500. I did the engine build up with a friend (excellent mechanic) in one day.
For my Cobra build I found a 351W that had all machine work done plus many new parts for $600. Because I was unsure of the engine shop that did the work, I brought it to my guy. He rechecked it all and since he had it, I had him build the shortblock as that is where most of the precision work is. I figure this motor to have 350-375 hp with the reworked stock heads that came with it. The motor with all accessories and dress up items, ready to run, cost me $2500-$2700 (reciepts not in front of me).
I would suggest to anyone that is comfortable, to buy a shortblock and get the experience of doing the rest yourself. It will give you a great understanding of how your engine works. The shortblock is where most of the precision work is. The rest of the motor can be assembled in a day easy. If you have the cash then more power to you, buy a 427W from a pro builder. I've enjoyed building my two motors and enjoyed even more the mony I've saved. :D Take care,
Doug

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
I said it earlier....IT'S A HOBBY!!!...If anyone is looking to build an FFR as an investment, you're making a BIG mistake (unless you are in the business of making and selling FFRs)....
Very few of us are Boyd Coddington ...Read Hemmings if you want an education on home-built rods....most are lucky to get their parts cost out...
Please don't take the car or the hobby too seriously...It's supposed to be FUN!
If it's not....try fishing or finger painting.
Anyway...Happy New Year...See you at Whitby's :D

·
Premium Member
10,220 Posts
I'm relatively new to the forum, and have seen so much knowledge and information passed on here.
I'm really looking forward to asking the dumb questions that I know I'll have.
Crate, self build, whatever, when we look at a new graduation, we all drool over it.
It's a living breathing beast, regardless of how it got there.
I like them all, not a bad one in the bunch!!!

·
Super Moderator
29,364 Posts
I'm building my own engine because I like to. I built my Roadster engine as well. I had some problems which cost me some $$$, but I learnd a lot.

·
5,470 Posts
Why wouldn't I? ... Well, I just started it on the first try less than 48 hours after I recieved it. Sweet.

·
Premium Member
10,220 Posts
Brian, don't see any video...
It didn't happen :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
Great country, America!

Look at this. We are fortunate enough to have the CHOICE to build it ourselves, or have it built, or buy it pre-built. Just like the rest of the car. & we have folks w/all levels of knowledge & experience, willing to pitch in & help. Hopefully, we don't misinterpret other folks contributions & get riled (too often), & we all benefit. It just don't get much better than that.

Happy, Blessed, & Peaceful New Year to you all,
Matt

61 - 80 of 80 Posts