Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...TERMITES!!!!

Why the hell won't they just go away!!!!!??????

I was working on taking out 6" of depth out of my work bench to make some additional room for both the FFR kit and my wife's Toyota Highlander. While moving the bench away, I noticed the tell tale signs of termite activity.

Now about April of this year, I found another mound of dirt on the opposite side of the garage and found out where they were coming from. Thought we got it licked but these guy's are pretty darn sneaky. However, at least once a week, I look about for any further invasions and I know as of August, they were not near the bench area so I think I got them rather early.

I think my exterminator was half serious when he said "watch out for other houses that are tenting for termites because it's a sure bet they'll move over to the next house".... figures, my area has just sold 5 houses this year, and 4 of them tented their houses!

So now when I go to the garage, I do a once-over on the foundation just to be sure I catch them early; we're resigned to the fact that they will ALWAYS keep coming; good thing I'll be in the garage a LOT when my kit arrives next month!!!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,345 Posts
If you're the DIY type (and who on this forum isn't?) and it's legal in your area, give this place a look:

http://www.epestsupply.com/

I get stuff from them fairly often. There is a lot of good info on termites and ants. I use Premise 2 and Bora-Care for termite treatment and some bait stations to try and kill colonies (I don't think I've got one yet though).

I think commercial pest control prices are rediculous (read: I'm too cheap to pay) so I'll do anything I can to save some money.

HTH

-- Tim

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
http://www.epestsupply.com/
I can second this source. The guy who owns this company, also owns a large pest company here.
I have worked on some of his toys many moons ago, and he is quite a good guy.
I used Premise2, Boracare, and small thermonuclear devices to treat my house.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
If the neighbors have tented their homes, I would follow suit, as the area your in seems to be infested. This is not something you want to DYI, leave it to the professionals and don't put it off.

Sincerely,

Bill S.

·
Husband/Father/Son
12,461 Posts
While I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (Wednesday I will be),I'll try to answer the question....

Tenting the home is where they enclose the whole house within an enclosed tent structure, then pump toxic chemicals into it to kill off the termites. Since his neighbors have already done this, it is surfice to say that he too will eventually have to do this as his neighborhood is infested with termites. Better to do this now and stave off any additional damage to the home..........

Bill S.

Originally posted by Turkey Master:
What does "tenting our home" mean?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Even though Bill didn't stay at a Holiday inn, he is correct. One thing that should be noted though is: "tenting" or fumigating a home for termites will kill all the termites in the structure if done properly. It offers NO residual effects whatsoever! So in theory termites could re-infest the home the day the tarps are removed!
California has 2 different species of termites that are common problems in homes. The drywood termite and the subterranean termite. The subterranean terite is best controlled using soil treatments while fumigation is the method of choice for the drywood. Boracare is a wonderful product that will work on both species but it's main drawback is that it must be applied to bare (unsealed or painted) wood. Treating the interior of an unfinished garage is no problem and could be done with about one gallon of Boracare treats about 500 sq ft. and will last for decades. Premise 2 is also a good product and can be used both as a soil treatment and a surficant for termite control.
I'm usually a big advocate for the do-it-yourselfer but when it comes to termites and your home I would sttrongly recommend using a proffesional! It's not because I do this for a living but because this is one of the largest investments people will make in their lifetime and termites can do enough damage to your home to cost thousand upon thousands of dollars to repair. Plus if you ever go to sell your home it will have to be inspected for wood destroying insects and if termite damage is found and you have no record of having it treated other than saying "I treated it myself" the property is going to require treatment before it can be sold! Find a locally ownedcompany where you can sit down and talk to the owner, not some salesman about your problem and be sure the person doing the job has plenty of experience and is a "licensed" not just a "registered" tech.
Try looking here http://www.ipconetwork.org/fmb/cboard.mv This is a group of indepently owned pest control guys that will give you straight forward honest answers to your questions and you may luck out and have one located nearby. If you look in Virginia you can fiind me too..lol..

·
FFR Craftsman
5,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone. My house has been through the wringer with these pests and I've tented once in the past. I'm pretty good with annual inspections now so a "little" bit of DIY in-between is OK with me. Just have to catch the suckers in the act.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If that's the case, I would go ahead and use Boracare wherever possible. You should be able to pick it up for somwhere around $80 per gallon. Should you develop problems on interior walls find a small Chapin Pest-Foamer and use the Premise 2 there. Good luck those guys can be a PITA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts