Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a replacement plug with wire to replace the factory alternator wire because i thought it was a heavier gauge wire but its the same,i thought it was a fire hazard because the wire was too small and if the connectors were not clean it built up too much resistance for the wire size and POOF,

now my quetion is why not just clean the connectors and apply some dielectric grease,instead of cutting and resoldering the same size wire???.....vinny

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am surprised there isnt more talk of this wire,i have read of numerous mustangs that have had alternator fires,and i think a couple or ffr cobras with one burning to the ground (phoenix project maybe?),ford never recalled it i just wonder where the hazard is exactly,it seems pointless also that those two big wires go into one only like 8 inches into the harness,i guess the problem would have to be in the connector....vinny

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
From what I have learned ....it's the connector

Mike

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
The receptacles in the plug spread apart after repeated installations. This cause a loose fit which results in high resistance at the connection point. Current flowing across high resistance = heat. Heat = higher resistance. Higher resistance = even more heat, etc, etc. This is only a problem if the engine is running, since no alternator output = no current flow.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Originally posted by PAB:
This is only a problem if the engine is running, since no alternator output = no current flow.
John's car burned in the garage 30 minutes after shutting down the car, it can a will happen with the engine off. Go with the 3G 95 and up alternators and get away from that problem. You can get a good deal from Tom at www.mralternator.com

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
John's car burned in the garage 30 minutes after shutting down the car, it can a will happen with the engine off.
Can someone please explain how a bad connection can over heat with no current flow. If a diode in the alternator would short to ground, there would be high current flow through that connector with the engine off. However, a wire/connector with properly sized circuit protection should not catch fire.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
762 Posts
I need to think a little about the "mechanics" behind this and reply latter but, it's the connector. We use thermal imaging test equipment to look for improperly torqued or crimped connections where I work. You can definitly see hot spots if the connector is not making good contact.

Mike

·
Charter Member
146 Posts
Not getting this connector resistance thing. If there is high resistance it will reduce the charging current when operating.

With the engine off there is always power applied to the alternator. This is via the fusible link from the common connection point. I suspect that if there are alternator fires with the ignition off it is caused by some defect in one of the electronics modules inside the alternator, shorting to ground and causing internal power dissipation leading to flames.

PG
FFR2503

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Well regardless of the root problem the bottom line is this, the alternators have and will cause fires :eek: . Use the 3G and the problem goes away and you can get them in the 90 amp and 130 amp flavors. www.mralternator.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.