Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has this mystery been solved?
The best thread I can see on the subject is way back in the 2002 archive.

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
So as to not confuse the driver with the tach

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
because the shocks are upside down.

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
If you are serious, here is what I remember from my research early in my Cobra build days.

The layout of the gages put the speedo low near the center of the dash. At high speeds, the driver needs to keep is vision on the road as much as possible, but still needs to check out the Tach and Speedo from time to time.

The reverse speedo places the pointy end of the needle closer to the tach at track speeds so the driver can glimps both at the same time. Also depending on several other aspects, the steering wheel does not block the view.

·
2,860 Posts
Also, probably an English, right hand drive 'thing' from the AC Bristol. Just a guess. Were the AC's also backwards? :confused:

·
Senior Charter Member
2,970 Posts
Somewhere, some time ago...I thought I read that it had something to do with the internal mechanics of the gauge...fewer parts (gears) needed because the direction of the spin didn't have to be "reversed" to move the the needle in the direction that we know today.

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
The cockpit layout including the gauges, reverse speedo and hand brake were all due to the right hand drive configuration of the original AC import.

Roscoe

·
Charter Member
1,606 Posts
Roscoe, you are a veritable fount of totally useless information :D :D .
John o

·
Charter Member
117 Posts
The origonal speedos were built in Australia as a budgeting concern with the low bidder saving 1 shilling over the local provider, and as we all know everything down under spins backwards (ie toilets and sinks) oh no sorry different century they wouldnt have done that back then, never mind.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone name another model of car which had a reverse speedometer? I am unaware of any.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Its a conspiracy. Its so police heading in your opposite direction can tell how fast you are going by looking in their rear view mirrors after they pass you. Trust me on this one I know.....shhhh their at my door.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
No no no....

It was actually in retaliation for the outlawing of Suicide Doors (hinged at the back rather than front)...

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
14,333 Posts
Did you also know that all the bolts on the orignal AC were left handed threads? It's a British thing

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
it's not "reverse" if you sit on the "right" side of the car

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
if the driver can confuse the speedo with the tach he should probably not be driving somthing this fast!!?? Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.