Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used that stuff before on other projects and it worked really well & seemed really strong. Anybody want to talk me into / out of, using it?

This stuff:

Kitty Hair

Thx.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
That's a polyester resin based product. The 3M marine repair filler is a vinylester resin product which is exactly what the FFR bodies are. The 3M product has fiberglass reinforcing just like the Kitty hair, but the resin is more compatible with the FFR. The fiberglass is also much more finely chopped in the 3M stuff.

Happy motoring

[ August 16, 2002, 05:31 AM: Message edited by: oldguy668 ]

·
Registered
860 Posts
That is a pretty convincing arguement!!

;) :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where can I buy the 3M stuff online? Can anyone provide a link? Thx.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
3,285 Posts
Ooops, I figured this thread was about a completely different subject.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Now that's something I would think....

·
FFCobra Fanatic
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to make sure I'm on the same page here, this is the stuff:

3M Marine Premium Filler

Also, about how much do you think I'll need? Thx guys!

[ August 16, 2002, 07:23 PM: Message edited by: Ed Hubbard ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
I don't know about you guys,,,but my wife would get pretty pissed off if she caught me shaving her cat! :D :D

...but seriously, my body guy used stuff called "duraglass" (I think) on my seams. It came in small black cans about the size of a can of paste wax. He used a bunch of those little cans and after three years, I never had any seams or work show through.

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Just goes to show there's more than one way to shave a kitty...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
762 Posts
I just got my 3m material from boatfix.com. One quick thing when you search for blister repair it might show a product with a different name. Look at streetrod painters FAQ and notice the 1 gallon 3m on, you will see the pn is the same for a gallon but the site shows a quart and a different pn for the quart. the rage is easy any autobody supply, the blister repair is a marine product and my stores did not have it.

Mike

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Knowing my 3 kitties, I don't think there's any doubt they wouldn't walk across any newly prepared surface.
:D

·
Senior Charter Member
474 Posts
Ed,

Wrong stuff. To fill the seams you want "3M Maring High Strength Repair Filler" They call it blister and repair filler here http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/Fillers.htm **NOTE** It says quart on the site, but it's for a pint.

You're also going to need the 3M Premium Marine filler. Both products are vinylester. Vinyester is between Epoxy and Polyester in terms of strength and cost. The High Strength filler is to fill the seams after they are ground down. Don't overfill - it's a bear to sand. The Premium Marine filler is easier to sand goes on next. I used a pint of the High Strengh filler and a full quart of the Premium filler. I also used Evercoats Rage Gold on top of the Premium filler to finish smoothing it out. It looks great now. I just finished sanding the second coat of primer.
I have an extra pint of the High Strength Repair Filler because I thought I was going to run out. It's unopened and comes with the hardner. If anyone wants it, I'll sell it for $20 - shipping included.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.