Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about everything in the archives on POR-15 and found some threads that do not recommend semi-gloss for painting the frame because it does not spread evenly!

Why semi-gloss is whorst than gloss?

Anyone used semi-gloss for the frame?

I have 1 pint and some 4 oz container of black semi-gloss, just wondering if I need to return them

·
Registered
810 Posts
I used it and everyone is right. Some places were shinier than others. I wound up going over it with Rustoleum gloss black.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Sorry, I clicked too quick. I think you're supposed to cover POR 15 with some sort of paint anyway because of UV raYS breaking down the paint.

·
Junior Charter Member
256 Posts
I had the exact same issue. The frame looked great until it dried. Then it had flat and shiny areas all over. I also then sprayed some gloss black over it in the areas you can see when finished (such as the engine bay).
Dave

·
4,494 Posts
Use the POR 15 Gloss Black. You can put it on with a brush and it will dry without any brush marks and give a hard glossy finish.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
871 Posts
I used the Stirling Silver topcoat that others have complained about being splotchy. Mine came out nice and even. I used a loop of coat hanger wire in my drill to mix and mix and mix and mix and mix it. Then I mixed it some more before applying it. This stuff takes a LOT of mixing.

·
Charter Member
328 Posts
I haven't had mine on the road yet, so I can't comment on long term durability but I used the POR "Hardnose" 2 part paint with a foam brush and it came out really nice. Mike in Maine

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.