Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i forgot to fully tighten the bolts that hold the metal plate to the waterpump, so i decided to be smart, spend $4.00 and 1 hour, and do the whole thing over.

when i took out the lower alternator bolt, it was wet where the red rectangle is. the inside of the spacer was wet also. the red line obviously shows where it went into the block.

i didn't fill the engine with water, but the car is up on ramps and you can see a little water standing in there in left cavity. even so, i am not sure how the bolt could have been wet.

is it possible that during installation, some water creeped out, made its way onto the bolt? if so, why would on the one section be wet?

strange stuff. hope i didn't screw anything up.

·
Charter Member
1,083 Posts
Boy, you really are gun shy by now, huh?
I hope everything straightens out for you soon.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

update already. why is this wet? is this bad?

·
2010 FFCars Graduate
3,032 Posts
You hosed the engine with anti-freeze when the hose blew off. It will be everywhere. It doesn't dry up and go away like water. Make sure this can't explain it.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...but that is my new gasket... installed yesterday, just pryed it off.

i put the front of the car higher up on jackstands, stuck paper towels in the block holes, and all is dry now.

i'll give it another shot.

·
Official OLD GUY
3,874 Posts
NiceGuyEddie

Ant time there is water in an engine block and you pull the water pump, there is going to be some residue. You cant get it all out by even pulling the bottom hose, there will still be some trapped in the block.

Make sure that all bolts that enter the block water jacket are waterproofed. Also make sure that you seal both sides of the pump backing plate and tighten the two bolts that retain it place. Don't plug the small groove at the bottom of the timing cover, it's the only way you'll know if the pump fails later in it's life span. water will weep out of that groove. Just like the small hole on the bottom of the pump shaft snout, lets you know if the seals for the bearings are leaking.

Doc

Don't let the name fool ya, been workin' on SBF all my life.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Eddie thats not unusuall. Even know you drained the radiator the egine block still has some coolant in it. That long bolt goes into the water jacket and will be wet unless block is dry which it is'nt. Be sure to use your thread sealer here when you reinstall the bolts.
Small amount of silicone sealer on both sides of gaskets,sealer on the bolts.
Also like Doc mentioned don't goop up the gaskets so much as to block off weep hole. If the seals were to fail it would be indicated by the water leaking from the groove.

·
Registered
11,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"Shirley" i tightened the bolts on the back of the plate. that's why i took the pump off and re-did this whole thing.

the other day, i snugged it down with a socket by hand (no extesnsion.) i figured i'd go back and tighten it up when i tightened up all the other bolts. ROOKIE MISTAKE... you obviously can't get to them once the water pump is on. a refrigeration guy at work lent me a super-thin flat wrench, but i still could not get in there. so i decided to do it RIGHT, not take a chance, and do the whole thing over over before filling back up the engine.

you should have seen the look on the guy's face at Autozone when i went back to get another set of gaskets.

i put permaseal on the bolts, and will fill her up tonite. should be fun, i plan to siphon all 4 gallons right from my bucket to the engine fill...

if i did this right, it should really be the last thing i have to do for a while. hopefully, i am right, and an oil change will come before anything else.

·
Charter Member
4,001 Posts
Eddie:
I hope you get it resolved so you can bring the car to Darren's tomorrow.
Paul M.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts