Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my GTM in March of 2010. It is number 309 and I am currently only at the portion where you start the body work. It has been at the GoKart stage for about a year now. My progress has been slow at best lately for several reasons:

1.Money: $40,000 HAHA Yeah right. I am just a young 22 year old in the NAVY, I have have sacrificed a lot to be able to afford this, At my current stage right now I estimate about $50000 and I plan on spending a lot more. I have to constantly wait to save up and buy the next toy for it.

2.Wants turning into Needs: This is where the extra money goes. I want more HP so I NEEDED a bigger motor (the GTM in fact does not need any more power) I want to be safe and faster at the same time so I NEEDED Racelogic. I cant put the car in reverse without playing tug-a-war with the shifter so I NEEDED brandwood. I dont want to use those inferior fuses so I NEEDED ISIS. H pipe exhaust? Nope I NEEDED Kooks X-pipe. I dont have locks, so I needed a shaved door kit. This keeps on going and it gets to the point I will replace everything I bought from FFR.

3.Troubleshooting: I have spent days and even weeks troubleshooting problems I have had. I end up buying and replacing parts that I have already bought trying to pick out the problem. I may have it running, but somethings I may not be comfortable and am afraid of putting the GTM together knowing I will have to take it all apart again to fix it.

4.Indecisive: Here is a problem that haunts us all. What direction should we go with different components? Which Transaxle? Should I have it regeared? Door frame or no door frame? Intake, from the sides or should I use a roof scoop? Should it be ram air? If so, where is the best place to get the air from? Should I cut the factory holes on the hood or make my own? Is a transaxle and/or oil cooler really necessary? That surge take might be better off in the back. Should I use the old LS6 computer or the LS2 computer? Paint Color? RED...no..BLACK...maybe a mix, why not Gunmetal? Why is color so hard?

5. Experience: I did not have any experience with cars prior to this project, I am being completely honest when I say I never even changed my own oil. I decided to do this project not just for the amazing product, but for the learning experience as well. So much time is invested in researching, learning, and trial and error until you are able to put all of that to good effective use. The GTM has taught me so many things, between the big things like building a completely functional car, to the little things like not holding your sparkplug when you start said car. I now want to learn how to do fiberglass work, yet only know what I can learn from youtubers.

And last of all...

6. YOU: All of you are preventing me from finishing. Every time I come to this forum, it seems like you are spending my money for me. When i see your GTMs and scream "I want, I want" I didnt think i wanted a roof scoop until I saw Rons and flickery's. I still have no idea which wing i want. I have just a regular ol 5 speed g50, I dont know if the money is worth re-gearing or not. Maybe I should just send my car to Shane? I plan on giving him a months paycheck anyway because his parts will look so good on my car. The next months is going to Crash and quickracingproducts. So many good products you all have, yet so many numbers I am off on the lottery.

And really when is the GTM ever finished? It is the kind of car that you will keep on putting time and money into even after it is street legal and fully operational. Its a never ending project.

· Premium Member
3,804 Posts
1. YOU DON'T NEED MORE HORSEPOWER!
2. Unless you want to control unmanned drones over Pakistan YOU DON"T NEED ISIS!
3. Unless you want to foolisly do drag runs.... a stock G50-01thru G50-20 is fine as-is!
4. Race Logic? you don't need no damn racelogic!
5. Forget the stupic door frames
6. There's a reason they call it Kooks!
7. CLOSE THE CHECKBOOK AND BUILD THE DAMN THING!

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. YOU DON'T NEED MORE HORSEPOWER!
2. Unless you want to control unmanned drones over Pakistan YOU DON"T NEED ISIS!
3. Unless you want to foolisly do drag runs.... a stock G50-01thru G50-20 is fine as-is!
4. Race Logic? you don't need no damn racelogic!
5. Forget the stupic door frames
6. There's a reason they call it Kooks!
7. CLOSE THE CHECKBOOK AND BUILD THE DAMN THING!
I guess #7 is now motivation

Haha, Thanks, so far the transaxle I bought from you is working just fine. Granted I have never taken it to 4th or 5th gear but it seems to get the job done. Reading how some people want bigger gears and its age just had me question myself.

· Premium Member
812 Posts
Derrick,
Get it roadworthy, registered and go have some fun!
I had to come to the realization that on a beer budget you won’t get to the champagne version in a realistic time frame.
Once you have it on the road you will be able to tell which “enhancements” have actual benefit and you can pay as you go all the while having fun!
I am not suggesting that you cut corners on workmanship at all just save the add-ons until after you have driven it around.

· Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Hope you didn't take offense to my reply. It's just I have one friend that wanted a GTM real bad and went crazy............16K into a completely rebuild G50-20, a brand new Katech motor for close to that, isis electronics with backup warning, 12K into custom upholstery, 8K into the paint, new custom Boyd wheels and ended up getting so burnt out on it that he never even registered it and sold it 95% done for about half of what he had into it. I hate it when people get carried away cause it leads to a bad taste about building these cars. I am a framer, so I have the f(*&k it, nail it mentality. If I can't build one of these cars in less than 6 months I wouldn't have the patience to build one..

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No offense was taken. Don't think at all I am giving up on this, its one of those things that I put too much work into to just throw the towel. I am over the half-way point, and if I ever get a little discouraged, I just start the engine up and take it out for a spin, and after dodging the neighbors mail box because the back slipped out in second gear, I come back motivated again. :mf_w00t1:

I just really need to be more decisive on the parts I want. I already bought ISIS and Racelogic, and just received Richards Harness bar. I think I was hoping I would eventually run out of parts to buy.

· Junior Charter Member
1,222 Posts
Funny. Sounds like the $25k roadster project I started in 2005. As of right now I have well over $50k in it, it's 99% done and I can still think of at least another $1k I can flush. If I started again right now, knowing what I know, I would just "BUILD THE DAMN THING". Good luck.

· Registered
604 Posts
Money, time, and skills.

If you have $60,000, two years to blow off your family and friends, and you have built a high end car prior, then it will be easier to pull off a high end build.

If not, you are seting yoursef up for another uncompleted kit for sale for a loss.

My favoite build that Iv'e seen on these forums is Gary's Koni car. Not because he stuffed every high end part he could find in it, or because he remanufactured every part that FFR supplied. He built it as basic(I think) as he could, and as fast as he could. And guess what, I frikin garantee that he got just as many looks and had just as much fun in that car as someone with the high end build.

I completely know the feeling of being sunk, I hate to see guys get to that point.

I hear what your saying man, eveytime I open up the forum, someone else has made someting I need. Never ending.

Good luck, you'll get it done.

· Registered
1,621 Posts
Derrick, no wife and kids in the picture?

Take your time and enjoy every bit of the research, the learnings, the hesitations, the victories.. Because the next time you'll be able to live those thrills is as an old, retired and (perhaps) rich, (perhaps) healthy old man.

· Registered
470 Posts
hey derrick, i've got some really cool carbon fiber parts coming out soon... don't feel so bad about how long it takes, i helped finish a wwII p40 fighter 3 years ago that was FIFTEEN YEARS in the making. it started with a windsheild and allison v12, most of the rest was built from scratch. makes these kinds of builds seem easy. and no, it wasn't even close to the original budget.

· Registered
549 Posts
The GTM is well thought out kit!

Prior to ordering my GTM kit, I spent over a year reading the forums, I had a whish list of parts I thought would be must haves. I built my car using a stock LS1 and a G50 transaxle. It took 3 months to get it to the gokart stage and now that Im able to drive it in the gokart stage I have changed my mind about the "must haves"...
1) Power from the LS1 will smoke the tires at 50 MPH with the gas peddal.
2) Steering is light even when not moving. (I was planning on PS)
3) The stock exhaust sounds great!
4) The corvette tanks work as planned with O rings or Shanes kitI. (dont use adhesives on AN fittings)
5) I dont see the need for an upgrade to the Painless wiring kit.
6) Im happy without the telescoping steering column. (none of my race cars had them)
7) If the G50 is too pricey, use a 4 speed 091 VW transaxle.

FFR built an awesome kit and all of the above comments may change once I have 10,000 miles on the car...:winkiss:
Robert GTM 407

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Derrick, no wife and kids in the picture?

Take your time and enjoy every bit of the research, the learnings, the hesitations, the victories.. Because the next time you'll be able to live those thrills is as an old, retired and (perhaps) rich, (perhaps) healthy old man.
Fortunately, I don't have a wife or kids yet, a girlfriend is enough for right now. She is jealous because the car gets more attention than her though.

I also have been taking long pauses in between the build due to being in the Navy and it just stops the momentum I have in it. I have probably been out to sea for a total of a year during this project, and every time I come back I have to figure out where I left off.

Dont worry, though I will put a finished GTM up. This here was just a rant on the never-ending build.

· Registered
1,709 Posts
Keep working on it. I didn't have the coin to build a high dollar roadster and at times hated staring at my "donor" motor. 4 years later and several upgrades done I'm closer to that original build I drooled over. If I did it again I'd do the same thing. Nobody on the street is going to mention the wheels on the other GTM their friend has. I guarantee you that!

· Registered
96 Posts
Hey man im 22 as well and it does get tight especially because mine is going out to paint next week. I was the same way you are with my supercharged corvette. U just need yo not get caught up with the forums and do what you want to do. Spend the $ where u want it and it is going to matter. I am having every piece put on my car powder coated and insulating the car alot, little things make a difference. Take your time

Gtm 409 off to the body shop next weekend !!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.