Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that 500+ is impossible to put down to the pavement in a FFR roadster.

My son and I spent some time at the track yesterday and today watching a new FFR Challenge Series car with a claimed 510+ crank HP and 3 link rear kicking some serious butt.

The owner / driver is a member here, I don’t know his screen name so I can not give props. Sorry Mike.
I was impressed with the car and his driving skills. For sure the car could light the tires at the exit of every turn but in the hands of a good / patient driver the car absolutely flew.

After witnessing a 500+ hp roadster haul the mail the way he did I am convinced anything less is not in the cards for our build.

Next week my son and I will order our own FFR roadster and take our first step from spectators to participants.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,786 Posts
A 500hp roadster is a whole lot of fun to drive and can be an incredibly quick car. Please check out my site as well as other vendors here for the right parts and advice for your build.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
I don't know where you get your info, but you can definitely put down 500 crank hp to the ground if you set up your car correctly. I have done it. I read posts from some members saying that you can't use 400 hp, I just laugh.
Thomas

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
On a race track, setup right, good driver, yes 500 HP may be ok.

On the street? Asking for trouble, in my opinion, if you ever get on it.

The slightest road flaw and you could be gone.

Like our friend here out for a run on a cold sunny February day in his SPF:

You asked for opinions...

·
Registered
934 Posts
I think when people say you can't put 500hp to the ground they're referring to 1st gear off the line - which I would argue is true. Even 2nd gear is going to be a handful. But there is no better feeling than being pinned to your seat in 3rd and 4th gear up to 6,000 rpm... and you will only get that with 450+ hp.

It all depends on where your priorities lie.

J

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
500hp would be an excellent setup and is most possible to get to hook on this car. It all depends on what you are able/willing to do in terms of setup. Getting the car to hook is not just about weight.

Sounds like fun. I'd encourage you to do it if budget permits.

-Matt

[ March 18, 2007, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Matt Kennedy ]

·
Gearhead
1,421 Posts
Hold on...I thought the challenge series only ran the 302's? Pushing 500 with a 302? What's he running under there? Me and my dad have the 392...and boy oh boy is it plenty. It still very much so delivers that "snap of the neck" feeling when he pushes the go pedal.

And I was once told something very important in autoshop. Torque is what makes you get to speed, horsepower is what keeps you there. So if you're looking for a high torque car...any 302+ Cobra will deliver. Horsepower is most beneficial at very high speeds. But since you're talking horsepower, there are some reasons not to. Larry gave a very good one. Heres mine.

The Cobra, as sexy looking as it is, is an aerodynamic brick. No matter how much horsepower you have going to the wheels, the body shape just won't accomadate it to it's full potential. So in a sense, all of us are being robbed of some horsepower just because of the body. But who cares, because it's so awesome looking, right? Going over 500 hp is a bit redundant to me. At the speeds you can perform with that, your front end will be lifting off the floor, literally. Theres just too much lift.

Even too much torque can be a hassle. Around here, cars that run > 10 seconds track times are required to have a cage. Those coffin looking things are not pretty on the Cobra.

But hey, thats what makes these cars so great. You can make them any way you like! I think 500 hp would be sweet, but I just wouldn't do it. Happy Motoring :D

[ March 18, 2007, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: CobraMatt16 ]

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
To answer you question:
Beacuse 600 HP is better!!
Dan

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Matt, lots of folks use the Spec/Challenge platform for a non-spec track car and that sounds like what this is.

500 crank hp is not a problem for a 302 BTW.

·
475 Posts
Have fun with it man thats what its all about if you want alot of power just dont put much gear in the car your Big engine should make up for it we run a 3.0 gear and our 60ft times are still low 2sec on street tires nobody says you have to mash it to the floor whan you take off if you just use common since the car will show you how much you can give it,double that on cold tires.
:eek:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've been in a Cobra with a slightly breathed on 302 and the thing FLEW! The thing gave me whip-lash going into 5TH! If 500+hp is what turns your crank, then by all means go for it if you can afford it. Me personally, I would shoot for 350 hp+tourqe.

Launch like bullet and stay there!!

My 2 cents.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
my 306 is about 500 crank hp. I think it is better to build your way up in power, thats what I have been doing. 500+ hp is needed on the top end. It doesnt help much in 1st and mostly 2nd. Just fan the gas pedal, thats what I do, its lots of fun trying to "tame" the beast.
I have had no problem putting down 325 crank hp and 175hp nitrous shot in 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

·
Gearhead
1,421 Posts
Mike D,

Didn't realize that! I'm sure it was possible to make that with a 302 but the challenge series kinda threw me off because I thought the challenge series had specific engine mods. But then again, you said he was just using the platform for a track car, so that may very well be the case.

Trevor, SWEEEEET setup! :D

·
Senior Charter Member
1,639 Posts
Darn Trevor, a big smile comes to my face everytime i see that pic!

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
If you want 500 +HP, look to a large engine. A small block producing 500 HP without a S/C is going to be a bear to handle in traffic, it won't have much below 4K, and will probably have a 1200 RPM idle, be hard to start on cool days and require race gas. A big block producing 500 will usually be fairly tame on the street.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
I have 324rwhp and 275 rear tires. Cant hook up in 1st. Throws me back in the seat through all gears. However, i have become accustomed to the power. I think that 375-400rwhp would be perfect. Anything else would just create an uncontrolable car.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,739 Posts
Join the Mile High Cobra Club and get some right seat time. See the cars and see what they will do with the various powerplants. The website is:

http://www.milehicobraclub.com/

Rick

·
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by Gordon Levy:
A 500hp roadster is a whole lot of fun to drive and can be an incredibly quick car. Please check out my site as well as other vendors here for the right parts and advice for your build.
Thanks we will be sure to check you out as well.

Originally posted by Jeremy T:
Which track where you guys at? I flew over the eastern range and saw a couple south of C Springs.
Pueblo Motorsports Park

Originally posted by ThomasW:
I don't know where you get your info, but…….
Right here!

Originally posted by Larry N. Johnson:
On a race track, setup right, good driver, yes 500 HP may be ok.

On the street? Asking for trouble, in my opinion, if you ever get on it.

The slightest road flaw and you could be gone.

Like our friend here out for a run on a cold sunny February day in his SPF:

You asked for opinions...
I REALLY did not need to see that.
Crashing sux and pictures of those that have will not change my mind about our build.
It only serves to justify all the time and money spent on continuing high performance driving classes my son and I attend.

Originally posted by Jeff U.:
I think when people say you can't put 500hp to the ground they're referring to 1st gear off the line - which I would argue is true. Even 2nd gear is going to be a handful. But there is no better feeling than being pinned to your seat in 3rd and 4th gear up to 6,000 rpm... and you will only get that with 450+ hp.

It all depends on where your priorities lie.

J
Drag racing is not our desire. Occasional relaxed track days and beating on the cubes around town on a sunny weekend is.

Originally posted by HOTROD:
To answer you question:
Beacuse 600 HP is better!!
Dan
My sides hurt. Stop it.

Originally posted by Mike D:
Matt, lots of folks use the Spec/Challenge platform for a non-spec track car and that sounds like what this is.

500 crank hp is not a problem for a 302 BTW.
You have it.
The car we saw today was claimed to be 302 CID 500+ at the crank.
I have no reason to doubt it.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.