Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a 3.1 and had real issues with the f5 gas pedal. The first issue was the weld broke where the barrel is attached to the mounting bracket so I re-welded and installed. Then after a few hundred miles I noticed the throttle cable was wearing a groove in the cable housing due to poor alignment between the pedal and firewall mounting hole. I purchased a new Russ Thompson pedal from Mark Reynolds at Breeze which he pre bends to fit your specific model roadster. Extremely easy installation and excellent quality...one of the many upgrades you will not regret in my opinion.

Mike

·
3,596 Posts
I found the factory gas pedal to be more of an on-off switch making driving more of a chore. Russ's pedal was much better for throttle control overall. I'm not into mods on the car for flash and wow factor, as I am for function. Great bang for the buck!
Sten

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
I have the donor pedal , one of the 2 donor parts I used 6k miles works like a dream. bob

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
I bought the Russ Thompson pedal from the get-go after driving a couple friends roadsters with the donor pedals. The donors work, but very sensitive. Can't comment on the complete kit, but I don't see how it could be any better. I think you're missing a nice opportunity for a quality part.

·
New
1,143 Posts
The pivot point on the stock pedal makes the throttle open too quickly. It was fine on the Mustang, but with 1500lbs less to move it is too sensitive. I adjusted mine to slow down the motion, but haven't been able to give it a fair shake yet. The last thing you want in a car that gets this much attention is anything that makes it appear that you can't drive it very well.

·
Premium Member
10,533 Posts
Ditto on the donor pedal. Just didn't feel right.
Put the Russ Thompson pedal on, now it feels and drives like it should.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
I built a gas pedal much like Russ's because the pedal that came with the kit is a piece of sh$!. Russ's pedal is da bomb and highly adjustable.

Consider gonig with a mechanical throttle linkage while you are at it. Looks bad ass and is also highly adjustable.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Ffr pedal is flimsy and not very adjustable. Russ's pedal is made for the job and can be adjusted to be just right for heel to toe shifts.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I tried using the Fox donor pedal but just didn't like it so I made my own.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
I found the factory gas pedal to be more of an on-off switch making driving more of a chore.
Sten
I read about this issue when I first started my build, so went directly to the RT pedal, rather than fool around. Great set up, and easy to install.

When installing one, you might keep in mind the pedal height, in comparison to the brake pedal. I have an issue with being able to heel/toe with mine, Makes for starting on steep hills a bit of a thrill..:w00t:

·
Charter Member
6,164 Posts
I built my car when you were suppose to use a modified mustang pedal. That was in the car for a few test runs. It was ditched at gocart stage. I ended up swapping it out for Russ' pedal. 10 years later, many, many track miles it still is working great.

·
Premium Member
18,256 Posts
The early model cars had a flat floor from underneath the seat to the foreward foot box panel. That made the stock Mustang pedal too long, and it would interfere with floor. The instruction book told you how to shorten the pedal to eliminate that problem.

And that was the problem - the ratio was all wrong. Made the throttle pedal much too sensitive.

The later MII's had a dropped floor, and can use the stock Mustang pedal unaltered. That works just fine, and it's really cheap and durable.

·
FFR 7469
551 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.