Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning my FFR build. I have a 428 FE left over from a Mustang I used to own. I have bad knees and would like to use a C6 automatic I have. FFR says it won't fit. What's the issue(s), has anyone made it work?

·
HighTech Redneck
603 Posts
http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/images/f/fb/Ford-transID01.jpg

I have a small block and an AOD, but based on the image above, I'll tell you my best guess. The AOD is a tight fit around the bell housing and it looks like the C6 bell housing is even bigger. The C6 is also about 3" longer than an AOD. My car is IRS and my driveshaft is 7.5" from u-joint center to center, so you'd almost have to go IRS as well to make it work.

I know some guys have offset their engines forward for various reasons. Then you'd probably need custom headers, too. MAYBE if you did that and went IRS, it could work. It looks to me like you'd definitely have to make some modifications though.

HTH,
Kyle

·
HighTech Redneck
603 Posts
After very little searching on the forum, at least 2 guys have used C6s, one in a Mk3.1, so it's definitely doable. keezling and WarsawJim both have/had C6s in their cars.

Kyle

·
Registered
313 Posts
There are trans builders that offer C-4s for FE engines. They are reportedly capable of handling the power and the Cobra being lighter than most would contribute to that ability. If you are interested in building your own, Ford put the Cruise O Matic behind the early FE engines, 1959-1966. I think the early bell housings will fit early C-4s. Anyway, something to else to consider.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think the C4 would be a better option. It is lighter and more efficient than the C6, and fitment will be MUCH easier. The dimensions of the C4 are nearly identical to the T5, so it will certainly fit. The C4 can also be built to hold as much as 1,000 hp, choose your flavor as required to hold the 428.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts