Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Miserly loves company. I'd like to know who has had the worst build experience.

I'm doing a non-donor build.

So far, I've:

1. Received a new Ford 351W motor with one of the fuel pump mounting bolt holes striped at the factory. NOT why a bought a new motor.

2. Received a new QuickTime bellhousing that was bored and tapped incorrectly at the factory and had to be sent back. QT says it's the only case they've seen in three years. 1-week wait.

3. A new Finish Line S/C dash that had been drilled incorrectly at the factory. Turns out their supplier goofed on a batch and I was the lucky one to catch it. Forty-day wait.

4. Now my new TKO-600 won't mate to my new QT bellhousing. Looks like I have the wrong mating rings (again from the factory) or someone machined something incorrecty on my QT BH or my TKO. Probably another 1-week wait.

If my experience to date is any indication, there's no wonder the Japanese are putting our auto manufacturing industry out of business.

I honestly don't know if I would do this again or recommend anyone else do it either. (Yes I know someone will say it will all be worth it when I take her out for the first drive. That may be so, but at this pace, I won't know for another 3 years...)

I'm sure someone is having / has had a worse experience than me. Let's hear about it... Miserly loves company...

Sherrell

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
<------ On motor number #3 :rolleyes: Third time's a charm. First motor was a bad donor motor, no compression. Second motor, no idea what's wrong with it, starting to knock on the bottom end and I'm not putting any more money into it. Third motor is being built by someone who knows what they are doing, going big-block for the final round. I'm really, really, really, really, really tired of pulling out motors.

·
Living Large
1,871 Posts
How about the guy whose car rolled down the driveway across the street and down a hill?

Trent

·
near graduate!
575 Posts
I've had nothing but problems the whole way through my build too.. but every time one comes up, I manage to get past it.. and it feels GREAT to get past them and on to the next stage!

Keep at it.. it gets better!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
I have come in the house many times very frustrated saying that I was going to sell the freaking thing! I have not had issues with parts such as yourself, just issues with my lack of skills. Currently my brake lines are raising my blood pressure so it has sat untouched for 3 weeks. Now I am sick too, eerrrr. The only reason I have continued is because I have wanted this car for 15 years. I'm not giving up on it that easy. It's frustrating to me to because I have everything I need to complete it, I just feel as if I can't make any progress at times. Ok I feel better now. Thanks

[ March 21, 2007, 12:17 AM: Message edited by: Michael Driver ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,378 Posts
Originally posted by TRENT:
How about the guy whose car rolled down the driveway across the street and down a hill?

Trent
:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Micheal,
The brake lines were a headache for me too. I flared all the front ones first with no problems, but the connections at the back wouldn't seal?. I finally just went to the parts store and bought the right lengths and used those.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
Thanks Doug. I have had a hard a time flaring the lines also so I broke down and bought a $300.00 hydraulic flaring tool (moment of desperation). Unfortunantly my flares don't seem to be much better. I had to stop buying brake line for awhile before I put my wife and myself in the poor house.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I can't tell you how many problems I have had with parts that were sent that were incorrect and had to be returned and replaced. It gets really frustrating i know, but those are things you can't control. It delay's things and causes aggrivation, but it seems it is as common as city traffic. You can't let other people's mistakes take the fun and pleasure out of this experience. Even with all of the bad, I would build another car in a minute if i could afford it. The only other car i have loved longer then the Cobra is the Ford GT40. But I doubt i will ever be in the income bracket to build on of those, and besides, it is not a convertable! So try not to take it personal, we have all gone through similar experiences. My wife say's I am the only person she has ever known that can go to any restaraunt and they will screw up my order every time. It never fails. So don't think the world is only picking on you! We should form a club. "The black cloud club" Then we all won't feel so bad about our luck.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Originally posted by Sherrell:
Miserly loves company. I'd like to know who has had the worst build experience.

Miserly loves company...

Sherrell
Misery loves company,,,Miserly loves money.

The further you stray from the donor concept, the more problems you will have to overcome.

RR

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I spent 4 months trying to figure out my coolant problems. Kept overflowing the overflow tank, and popping off the rad cap. I eventually replaced head gaskets, after racking up a total of 11 miles on the first rebuild. At one point, I was literally trying to decide how much $$ I could get for a partially completed build.

It's all worth it in the end. Also, your level of frustration is proportional to how far you stray from the donor car concept. Pardon me for saying so, but had you built a Roadster with a donor 302, donor bellhousing, donor transmission, and used the F5 supplied dash, you wouldn't have had any of these problems. But, I understand everyone needs to customize and build the car of their dreams.

Keep your head up; and yes, all the frustration goes away when you cruise down the road, wind in your hair, and everyone stares at this awesome car that just rumbled past them.

·
1,569 Posts
One thing that you can learn from your experience is to purchase related parts from ONE vendor, i.e engine,bellhousing,trans,shifter or brake rotors,calipers,pads. IMHO, when you atart mixing and matching to save a buck, it always costs more in the end.

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Still early in my build, have had a few little bumps here and there, but all in all it is moving along fine. I guess though I look at and expect to find bumps, to say that problems with parts from small suppliers and vendors is a sign of what is wrong with the American auto industry I think is a bit off the mark.

At the end of the day I'm building a custom car, I expect some parts to not fit right, to need some grinding and cutting. Over-all though I think it is amazing the lack of fabrication that needs to be done in order to put one of these cars together.

-Scott

·
Senior Charter Member
1,639 Posts
I still recall the guys car that FELL on him!... :eek: . I don't think anyone could top that!

·
Senior Charter Member
651 Posts
Sherrel,

I have a no donor build too. I have had numerous parts problems - a "new" MC with traces of brake fluid in it and no pushrod, a new in the box FRPP 3:55 rear that is really a 3:73 (discoverd only after I had stripped and painted the rear), a $2000 order that the vendor "forgot who it was for", replacing a number of the grade 8 bolts from FFR that were too short, a freight charge for a $12 part that was backordered on a $800 order, a trip to the UPS store and $9 to exchange a $16 part where the vendor picked the wrong one off the shelf, Koni shocks that may not work with my tubular LCAs, a 3 month wait for my engine to be built, etc., etc.

Like you, I am close to dropping the engine and trans in which is a major milestone. Waiting right now for an order placed a week ago and still not shipped that I need to complete the install of the engine.

Most of these issues involved forum sponsors who are well respected and who all were willing to correct the issues. Not to mention the things that I had to redo because I screwed them up the first time - ask me how many trips I have made for hardware because I had to reassemble some parts. It is just part of the process. I am in no hurry so that helps and I have learned to work on something else when parts hold me up. Just imagine how much "fun" the wiring will be. :confused: ;)

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
This thread brings back terrible moments...no nightmares!! :(

·
FFCobra Craftsman
838 Posts
Had an aftermarket front LCA where the ball joint socket threads were stripped. Solution weld it in, no big deal.

Have a rebuilt T-5 that seeps oil, have not troubleshooted it yet, don't think that will be a big deal either.

Had to change over to the older bellhousing to support the rebuilt T-5, did not realize the clutch fork was different, drove an hour to the nearest Ford dealer that had one in stock, picked it up, had lunch and drove home. My bad.

Got a set of wheels that did not clear the front Cobra brakes, sent them back and got the right ones, no big deal either.

Had trouble with An fittings leaking, redid part of the fuel lines.

Swapped the rocker studs to ARPs on new AFR heads because of rumors of breakage.

Changed out the seat harness to cam-locks because I hated fumbling with the latch.

Reworked the silly parking brake cables so they do not rub on the cross member.

Sandblasted off the FFR powder coating on the frame because I ordered it bare, but it came powder coated.

The bottom line is if you deviate from the norm in any way, be prepared to deal with the consequences. In my opinion, if a builder wants less hassle, pull the motor from the donor and drop it in, don't change or buy a thing and use all the FFR parts.

Would I do it again, absolutely! Already thinking about a coupe, but going to build a drag car first.

Tony

·
Junior Charter Member
825 Posts
I feel your pain. I knew going into this that I would have a lot of problems come up , it's the nature of the beast FORD!!.. people say they have fords and never have any problems, but these people just go the the dealer and buy a new car, then take it back or to a mech for repairs. but if you backyard build and create you own streetcar or rod you will find out that if some one at ford sneezes or takes a coffee break, they change a bolt pattern somewhere or something worse. you have work for what you want and it will be worth it in the end. never give up. just my point of view. charlie

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
Where's Fast Eddie when this topic comes up?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts