Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you running, and do you like it ? Or what don't you like?

·
8,269 Posts
Kenne Bell. It's a real torque monster and a blast to drive. Virtually no maintenance except it does tend to eat belts at the rate of one every 5000 miles or so but that is partly due to the fact that I am running such a small blower pulley. The price is quite high compared to other blowers.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sergio, got the wire seperators today. THANKS !

The reason I started this thread is that I wanted to find out how many folks were running supercharged.
I have ran the spray before, big cams, 1.72 rockers you know the drill...
Today, I took the belt off and ran it around the block.... not really impressed, still running a B cam and 1.72's gtp40 heads cobra intake... pretty stout bolt on stuff. Put the belt back on and went the same route... OMG I reminded myself of how much that blower kicks..... It actualy felt like a dual quad motor I was running in the 70's( a bowtie)
I guess what I don't understand why more people just don't BOLT one on and go..

Anyway, let me know what you think.... Howcome you haven't bought a supercharger??

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
Paxton Novi 1200 on mine, carbuerated. Just a touch of power in mine and alot of fun to drive!!!

·
Senior Charter Member
613 Posts
Just to play devils advocate, while my car is much faster with the kenne bell on it, the car's personality is a little more one-dimensional with the blower.

Before the supercharger the power delivery was more linear and the car was easier to cruise with around town. Also, before I was more prone to accelerating harder between stoplights. Now I'm a little more respectful because the power is kind of scary.

Maybe I'm not used to it yet, only have about 300 miles on the supercharger, so these are initial thoughts.

·
Senior Charter Member
529 Posts
Vortech V-2SQ 10 psi supercharger, very easy to drive around town and if you step on the gas tons of power.The car drives like it did before the supercharger until you get on the gas.

[ June 07, 2007, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: mrk3cobra ]

·
FFR Master Builder
4,170 Posts
Powerdyne with 12# of boost. I just love it. I have taken the belt off and the car feels like it is a 4 cylinder. It is amazing how much power the supercharger adds

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
Paxton system where the carb fits inside a "box", and the whole thing is pressureized. Mechanical secondary mighty demon inside

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I have a weiand roots with carb on top. Makes gobs of power and looks great but the engine is much more tempermental (intake air temp, knock, vapor lock, cockpit heat, etc). The blower makes the air pretty hot and its hard to fit the engine under the hood. Looking back I'd go NA again - just higher compression.
I had 175hp nitrous shot on my old 302 motor. It was great!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,600 Posts
PDH Cobra,
I ran a VORTECH for about a year. I took it off and sold it. I agree with two earlier posts. The car's personality was such that I just couldn't seem to go for a calm "Layed-back" drive without it wanting to switch-ends. It is a huge bang-for-the-buck if you don't mind the scary breaking loose part.
BTW, I had 421 RWHP...maybe if I'd gone with about 6 PSI I would have liked it better.
Take care,
Ron

·
FFCobra Fanatic
7,022 Posts
Vortech VS-1 8-10PSI and love it.
But the car now has alot of unusable power off the line. (356RWHP)

John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Powerdyne 6 psi. Love it. I used to need sheets of ice to spin the car into the woods :rolleyes: . Now I can do it anytime :D

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
I have a Vortec S-trim with 14# of boost. Love it. It is very drivable around town and I spend the majority of my time in city trafic without a problem. The car is an absolute insane beast when you stomp on it. Prior to the Vortec I had a Powerdyne and really liked it as well. It was probably more realistic level of power for the car with street tires. My best dyno run with the powerdyne was 349rwhp.
Personally considering the weight of these cars and their traction deficiency I would take a centrifugal blower over a kennebelle any day. My car makes real power over 3000 rpm which is usually after the wheels are some what planted. I think it's also what contributes to the cars reasonable street mannors. I don't really need massive low end torque which will just spin off the line. I have Eatons in 2 other multivalve cars(jag and mini) They really benifit from the low end tourque boost.

·
mk 1.5 original
562 Posts
Vortech S trim @ 12 lbs No problems in traffic or driving. Horsepower and torque to Smoke the tires at will and very reliable. Tuning is the key.

Chris

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Blowers should be given the new nickname of the "Crack Pipe". The boost is addictive.

·
Registered
554 Posts
B&M 144 on a 347 stroker. Instant "big block" from idle on up. Best thing I ever did. My cobra will have a 174 Weiand. I just got the blower kit and the adapter plates for the 351 block. The 427W is probably too much for the 174 but even a few pounds of boost is better than none. What do I like about roots style? The torque is too much! What don't I like about it? Too much torque!

John S.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.