Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is a FFR bunch I won't ask about #1, but if FF wasn't around who would you have gone with?

Mrs. Moccasin has given her blessing of getting a cobra, but expressed her opinion that I should just go out and buy a complete car.

Perhaps she's seen too many projects go on longer than expected, but, dang, building a car sure sounds like a gas!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
948 Posts
I liked the ERA cars a lot. They even had the 289 street and FIA options, which were of major interest. In the end, I went with FFR because I liked their frame best, with the rivited aluminum panels and the race-proven performance.

Although I'm off to a slow start, the work isn't really that hard, and the pride and sense of accomplishment when you're done makes it all worthwhile. Even completing each step is a rewarding achievement, and a great reason to toss back a couple.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The XKSS replica from Proteus in the UK. The concept was similar to the Smiths' except it used an old XJ6 as the donor. The problem was actually tracking the company down as they seemed to be in more than one place at once. After a visit to Wareham, Factory Five's organization and obvious product planning got my order.

Be seeing you...

·
Registered
197 Posts
You would not believe how close Turn Ten Racing
roadsters are to an FFR.

Cheers,
Ed

·
Cobra Builder
1,728 Posts

·
1,743 Posts
Interesting question but remember that if FFR weren't around the companies that have copied or cloned them wouldn't around either.

Call the few already mentioned in this post plus some others... Hurrican Motorsports, Turn Ten Racing, Street Beasts, Bob's Hot Roadsters, Shell Valley, ERA, Classic...whatever... and ask "them" for a list of owner's in your area...

Take a look and let us know what you decide

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
You can always buy a finished FFR. My second choice would be / is a Superformance. Dan

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
Number two alternative would be a pro builder making you and your wife an FFR roadster to your specifications. What do you want?
-Traditional or modern?
-High HP or street cruiser?
-Road track setup or factory stock?
-Carb or EFI?
-Stripes or no?
-Blue or any-color-but-blue?
- 15" fat tires?

These are the question to answer, not which brand. (in my humble opinion)

Pro builders can get your car done a lot faster than you can do it.

Plus you have the advantage of a custom build just for you.

·
FFCobra Captain
11,720 Posts
Take a look at backdraft racing too.

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
FFR is the biggest. ERA have an air of exclusivety to them...big waiting list and quite expensive, but nice when finished

Superformance are expensive and a different concept in that they are a complete car minus engine and tranny for about $60K

Turn Ten is just as nice as FFR, somewhat new but a good value nice product.

Kirkham is the most authentic, beautifully made but about $40K minimum for a kit.

In my books Turn Ten is the second most interesting car out there. If I didn't build a FRR I would do a turn ten or a Kirkham.

But the real answer is ERA, Very long standing company with multiple products and good reputation...But not for me!

·
Registered
159 Posts
the first question is how much money you want to spend. all kits have there good points and bad points. I havent seen one yet that I would have liked to changed something on it. If you buy one already built, just remember the car is only as good as the builder. thanks to this forum there are a lot of good builders.

·
4,342 Posts
Funny Jeff, I was looking for a '68-72 Vette. but decided now was the time for the Cobra.

My second choice was Turn Ten. Mike's a great guy, very responsive and customer oriented, but this forum won me over.

·
Fast Snake Charmer
585 Posts
For me there would not be a #2, but if you have the money........an aluminum continuation car (Shelby)then Kirkham and then ERA.

·
Unknown
399 Posts
I wouldn't bother getting one. I like Factory Five's concept based on the 5.0. Other than Superformance and Backdraft, which are a little pricey for a hobby car, everything else reminds me of the dunebuggy, Volkswagen kit days.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I'm w/ Racer X. I wouldn't have bothered because none of the others offer a comparable chassis. If I had money to burn and I wanted a street only roadster, I'd have to go with Superformance I guess.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,397 Posts
Building the car is a BLAST! I really miss the build part of the project.

don't get me wrong...driving it is awesome! but i'm here to tell you, if you think building is fun, you're cheating yourself of a ton of fun if you don't.

Having the chassis in the garage and bolting parts up, running brake and fuel lines, the first start, then the first go-kart ride, then when you first put the body and windshield on...man, it don't get better than that!

if FFR wasn't around i would never have any car like this. i owned a Mustang GT that i had parked for a few years, and needed to do something with it. budget was a big concern for me, so if FFR wasn't around i would have gotten rid of my Mustang.

go for the build...you won't be sorry.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts