Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering the do's and don'ts, and the wills and won'ts of putting a 351 Cleveland in an MK4. I know FF doesn't really say they support them. Any input would be helpful!!
Higgy

·
Registered
486 Posts
My understanding is that they have a taller deck height and thus don't fit under the standard hood or maybe it is harder to do.
b-

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My understanding is that they have a taller deck height and thus don't fit under the standard hood or maybe it is harder to do.
b-
I believe the deck Is shorter by a bit at 9.2. The Windsors I think were 9.4 and then 9.5". Again I am no expert that's why im looking for answers!!

·
Charter Member
1,155 Posts
My friend has a Mk 2 with the 351c. Fits just fine, although the d/s seems tighter than mine with a 351w.
Rob

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great post by you by the way....in 2009!!! With a KEY statement!

W vs C

The both have the same bore stroke dimensions, and there is the possibility that an odd bolt or two is common between them, other than being made by Ford, nothing else is the same.

The C is a derivite of the 385 series blocks (if memory serves correctly) and is still the engine of choice "Down Under", but no where else. The C also had the early 4-bolt mains to beef up the block for more power. It is physically larger, and heavier that the W.

The W is the engine that was stuck in most of the Ford products that had the 351 designation. This block has the after market support with a vast array of parts and components and is the one used mostly when you hear about Ford small block stroker kits.

I don't have the data on HP or years that they were used, I'm sure there will be another post or two that will cover that. If I had a C, I'd consider using it, to be different, but thinking of servicability (parts and service) I'd go with the W.

Just one person's opinion.

Regards, Rick.

BTW, Cheap performance is an oxymoron.

·
Charter Member
1,772 Posts
This Cleveland will be for sale soon. He is putting the original 302 Boss motor back into the car.

Turn up the volume

I have two Cleveland motors within four block of my house. One in a Cobra and the other is the Boss Mustang

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mine (FFR 8317) has a 351C based (it is now 393 cuin) engine. I had no trouble getting it in the MK4 chassis, although the driver side is a bit tight. The engine mounts are the same between the Windsor and Cleveland blocks, but no one offers an off the shelf header for the Cleveland in the MK4, so custom ones will be required (I built my own). The Cleveland build will cost you a bit more $$ that a Windsor, but if that is what trips your trigger, I say go for it! If you decide to go that way, I and several others on this forum can offer advice!

Attachments

·
Charter Member
1,772 Posts
I had five of them a few years back. Torn them down and all had holes in cylinder walls. I finally loaded them up and sold them for scrap metal.
Maybe I should have kept them and had them sleeved.

They have poor oiling system. I think you're better of with a Windsor block with a Cleveland style crankshaft. The best of both motors.

Just my option

·
new
102 Posts
I've got a Cleveland in mine. Problems are can't reach plug #8 except from the bottom and need custom pipes.
Used Windsor mounts, Windsor bellhousing. Had to use a drop based air cleaner base Edelbrock Performer RPM air gap. Hood closes fine.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,915 Posts
Well two reasons...
A) I have one and
B) They seem to be pretty rare in these roadsters

Two good reasons don't ya think!! LOL
A - Yes!
B - No!

The only thing "wrong" with a Cleveland, is that it is pretty much an orphan theses days. Good engine. Way better heads than factory Windsor heads. But lack of aftermarket parts, added expense because it is rare, some custom parts like headers, etc. Nothing you can't overcome if you just gotta have it.

Is that FFR with the Ferrari engine still around? Talk about a rare combo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts