Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running Sumitomo HTR Z's. (I got them used, for free, couldn't pass that up! but I want to upgrade later (maybe next winter after driving on them this summer).

I understand the Kumho Ecsta XS is a much better tire.
I believe BFG and Ntto also makes a good tire in this size.

Any other options, and how do they compare?

I know Mickey Thompson makes a "Street Radial", but I believe these are more Track tires. Do they make a true street tire?

Thanks!

· Not a waxer
12,098 Posts
What Wayne said. I'm starting on my second set of XS (got about 7K miles out of the first ones but readily admit to being hard on them). I started with Sumitomos before switching to the Kumhos---they're OK to get you going but are not a performance tire by any stretch of the imagination.

Jeff

· Registered
211 Posts
I just went on the Kumho website to look at the ECSTA XS to look at sizes, the show 295/35R/17 and 315/35R/17. I thought the best size tire for an MKIV was 275/40R/17 and 315/35R/17. What do you guys think of the Nitto 555's they have the size I heard you should use??
Thanks

· Unconventional Builder
5,498 Posts
I just went on the Kumho website to look at the ECSTA XS to look at sizes, the show 295/35R/17 and 315/35R/17. I thought the best size tire for an MKIV was 275/40R/17 and 315/35R/17. What do you guys think of the Nitto 555's they have the size I heard you should use??
Thanks
Do you have power steering? If so you could go with 275's up front and 315's in the rear. Looks cool but with manual steering the 275's up front are really tough on the arms. If you are predominantly street driving and even some AutoX 245/255 up front 315's in the rear. That is what I am buying for next season and I AutoX as much as I can.

· Registered
1,633 Posts
I'm a little worried about 245s looking stretched on a 9" wheel.

The MT drag radials are a street tire. I've put thousands of miles on them on the street. Do they last more than 10k miles? No way. But do they work? yes.

I am figuring 10k miles should last me 2-3 years.

· Registered
739 Posts
The MT drag radials are a street tire. I've put thousands of miles on them on the street. Do they last more than 10k miles? No way. But do they work? yes.
Is 3-4k miles not the norm for the MT DR now?

Maybe things have changed since I researched it 3-4 years ago, but at that time I was reading the mustang/camaro guys were only getting 3-4k miles out of a set of the MT DRs. At that time, the BFG DR seems to last about the same. That truly made them a track only tire in my book, even with the DOT approvals. At that time, I decided to go with the nitto 555R since they seem to last 10-12k miles. Obviously, the MT hooks up better at the track, but I was happy with my nittos and NOT changing them every time I changed the oil.

I know the Kuhmo XS is more focused handling than a drag radial, but how well do they hook up in a straight line? Similar to the nitto 555R which is the least sticky of the group?

Obviously, the Sumitomo HTR Z and nitto 555 (non DR) are in a completely different class. they are a summer tire with no aspirations of competition.

· Charter Member
339 Posts
I'm using Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's. They stick like glue on dry and wet pavement. Tire Rack still has a few in those sizes, but they are pricey.

Terry

· Registered
1,633 Posts
Is 3-4k miles not the norm for the MT DR now?
I put 4-5k miles on a set of MT drag radial IIs on my 600 hp 3500 lb 03 cobra.

They still had about 4/32s left when I sold the car. Now, I had a line lock and did frequent nasty burnouts, as well as several track trips.

The original drag radials were done at about 4-5k miles. I would guess on a lighter car, 10k miles is achievable with the drag radial IIs and reasonable use.

For me personally, I'm fine with spending money on tires. Probably the most important part of the car after all.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.