Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Non-Traditionalist (I'm not a purist, just look at
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My donor 4.6 body harness isn't working out for me so I am deciding to go the aftermarket route.
But who has the most complete, nicest and easiest to install chassis harness?

Right now I am trying to decided between Ron Francis or American Auto.

Please help me decided. What are the pro's and con's of either? And is there another alternative that may be even better?

TIA

[ January 16, 2005, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Kwizatz-Haderah ]

·
5,559 Posts
Mirko,

I don't have experience with the one's you mention, but I really liked the Painless, and wouldn't hesitate to use it again if I do another car. The quality of the wire is excellent, and I found the diagrams very intuitive and easy to follow. For what it's worth, though, I've heard the others that you listed are good also...

Brian

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
If I were you, I would stick with the painless or the American autowire. Both have been installed countless times before, and they have worked out very well.

There are tons of info on both, and also some specific wiring diagrams for the FFRs on the forum. Having other people for help who have done the same before is priceless, especially if you are more of a wiring novice.

Lukas

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I've used all three that are mentioned, but I prefer Painless. It may simply be that I've used it the most, but I have never had a problem and it is well marked with great instructions.

·
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If I do go the painless route, do any of you have suggestions on who offers them for the best price?

I just need the EFI body or chassis harness since I still have to use the SDS engine harness for my aftermarket engine management system.

Also, does the painless kit make it easy to make connects to the tranny, radiator, fan?

Thanks again guys

·
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I do go the painless route, do any of you have suggestions on who offers them for the best price?

I just need the EFI body or chassis harness since I still have to use the SDS engine harness for my aftermarket engine management system.

Also, does the painless kit make it easy to make connects to the tranny, radiator, fan?

Thanks again guys

·
Junior Charter Member
1,991 Posts
Tristates had the best price when I looked a little while ago.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I've used all three at one point and I prefer Painless. The Ron Francis was nice but not as nice as the painless setup. Your fan will be controlled buy the engine management system. The only connection to the tranny is the elect speedo to the EMS. Unless you want reverse lights and thats an easy hookup to the Painless.

·
3,211 Posts
I used the Painless EFI and chassis harnesses. All the engine, tranny and fan connections were there, clearly labeled. The instructions and diagrams in the manuals were great. Like Lukas, I picked mine up at Tri-States, who have special deals on them quite often.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Mirko,
I have the Painless kits in stock. I don't know who has the best price, but I sure want your business and will be more than fair. What is the price & part number? I can ship on Monday.
Mike Forte

·
3,874 Posts
I would highly recommend sending your 4.6 harness to Roger for the wire diet and not have to mess with a generic harness. If you must use a generic harness for a specific reason I personaly would use the Painless harness.
Don

[ January 17, 2005, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Don DePontee ]

·
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don,
I was thinking of using one of these generic harnesses because there are two members of this forum that have had great success with 4.6 builds one using the American Auto Chassis harness that FFR supplies with carb'd kits and the other used the Ron Francis chassis wire harness. That's why I mentioned those two harnesses in my first post. I've had such a bad experience with my donor harness that I am kinda wanting to just stay away from having to deal with, although if Roger could remedy my current issues that would be great too.

Mike,
I just sent you a PM

·
Registered
11,853 Posts
If you have the SDS it should be able to be tied into the factory injector harness only. basically 8 injectors and the crank trigger.

Use a painless for the rest. I have now done a bunch with the painless and 2 with American Autowire (one of those is a 4.6) and will never use that cheap crap again. The switches blow (replaced all of them ign, hdlt etc). The connectors suck (came apart so now I have a splice next to the connector for my water temp) all to save FFR a buck. I have now stopped using the Autowire completely and will just buy the painless from Summit. But, since you live way close to Mike I would get it from him and use the local support. HTH, Cheers Richard.

·
15,282 Posts
My builder already chimed in...mine integrated the Ron Francis chassis harness with the Detail Zone custom engine harness. You might want to contact your SDS engine control system supplier and ask what they recommend -- it may be that they have a preference, or some instructions already documented that would help you out.

Good luck -- keep us posted as the modular builds keep moving forward!

Cheers, John

·
6,559 Posts
Don't want to hijack this thread bu I see there are two Painless types for 5.0 engines. One is standard length #60510 and one extra length #60511. Do you use the standard length? I remember the stock harness being tight in places and wondering if the extra length would provide more flexibility in routing the harness.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
I used the 12 circuit Painless chassis harness. Good quality, good instructions. It's $265.95 from Summit.

Charlie

·
Non-whiner
10,646 Posts
I've always purchased mine from Summit, but I see that Mike Forte supports the forum, so I will be buying from him.

Stand by Mike, I need a FRPP crate engine, TKO, clutch, drive shaft, and wiring harness...and I'm sure the list goes on and on and on...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts