Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charter Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 120 gig western digital hard drive that had every bit of photos and chunks of info for my mk II and last night I started scandisk as a regular preventive measure and this morning the only thing the hard drive would do is make loud clicking noises, Customer support said "Yup its broke you need a new one" so before I start repairs the subject says it all. Thanks

·
15,282 Posts
STOP. Turn off the computer and don't do anything else. If you're serious about wanting the information off of that drive, there are restoration services you can send it to. The disc is ruined, but the data can often be saved, and they'll mail it to you on CD or DVD. It isn't cheap, but it beats losing memories.

I like Maxtor and Seagate drives, and also the Hitachi drives (they bought IBM's hard drive manufacturing).

I have had 3-4 Western Digital drives fail in the last year. I don't keep anything on one that I don't back up, because I assume it is only a matter of time before it's gone. Sorry you experienced the same.

Cheers, John

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
I use nothing but Seagate. Quiet and never had one fail ever.

I have 3 computers at home running 7 Seagate drives, my Tivo has two seagate drives.

·
Husband, Father, Bonehead
944 Posts
Seagate gets used in all our servers. Western Digital gets used in our users machines. Never changed a bad seagate but I have lost about 5 machines due to bad harddrives in the last 2 years.

·
Charter Member
49 Posts
I work in IT for a living, and I would vote for Maxtor for a desktop, Seagate for a server (SCSI interface, which you probably don't have). Stay away from Western Digital, I have replaced more drives because of them then I care to even think about. I have a several old Maxtor drives on some of the computers at my house and have never had a drive fail in them.

·
Husband, Father, Bonehead
944 Posts
8 yrs ago, Maxtor was pretty bad. We built all of our computers in house (500+). We would get a shipment of about 50 harddrives at a time and at least 5 would be bad straight out of the box. Out of the ones that were good, 5 would go down within the first 6 months of use. We spent a lot of time changing out those clicking harddrives. Maxtor really turned around their quality about 5 years ago. Good product at a decent price.

·
Professional Internet Browser
9,945 Posts
Seems like whatever IBM uses in their laptops is a good harddrive. Mine has been dropped, beaten up, and is carried in a backpack 6 hours a day every day while on standby. It has never ever had a problem in 2 years.

·
Banned
426 Posts
I am a contractor for Dell and IBM.
For some reason All the hard drives have been crashing ( maxtor, seagate and western)Mostly the new SATA drives.
No one knows why

BACK YOUR INFO UP

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Those recovery services John mentioned are eeexxxpensive.

You can try the "freezer trick". If you are tech savvy or know someone who is, place your hard drive in a ziplock bag in your freezer overnight. Then have a new drive ready to go, meaning hooked up to your computer as a slave. Get a copy of ghost (or other cloning sotware) and then take your hard drive out of the freezer and connect it back to the computer. This isn't gaurenteed but it does work sometimes. If it happens to spin up and the ghost process is working leave it alone. you will probably only have on shot at this.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
11,528 Posts
Originally posted by joebio:
Aaron and Dagster, you know you guys just jinxed yourselves, back it up NOW!!!
LOL
joebio - YES! I always keep backups...anyone who doesn't is asking for trouble!!!

He he, ok. I work for a large software company and I manage 12 servers some SCSI other IDE and they all run Seagate drives. No failures in 6 years. I also know that most of my associates prefer Seagate because of their reliability and low db... IE no clicking or whine. I've hacked two TiVo's and use Seagate exclusively for their lack of noise.

I've built maybe maybe 50 machines.

Western Digital = scary!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I've had nothing but problems lately with Western Digital and Maxtor large drives. I'm going SCSI from now on!

·
USAF Lifer (Retired)
1,221 Posts
It depends on the age of your system. If made in the last year it should be Serial ATA compatible. If so Seagate running 10,000 RPM would be the ticket. An older system may only handle ATA133 or ATA 100. I've been running 2 IBM 30G Deskstar's (ATA100)in RAID 0 for 5 years no problems. GOOD LUCK on getting your info back.

·
Arruminum
3,691 Posts
It amazes me how many IT people do not have a working backup solution. I get calls all the time from people saying that their server is down and they have to get it back up or they will be fired. They lose a drive and have no way to get the info back, or the server up. Sorry dude, I hope the resume is up to date.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts