Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm toying with the idea of getting a little jet boat to play with either on the Hudson river next to my house or around Long Island Sound where I keep my other sailboat 'Savage'.

I thought something like THIS would be fun.

My questions: first how are the engines? relaible? expensive to repair? Second, what depth of water can you run them in slowy when coming into land?

The reason I ask that last question is that my Yacht Club has a dock where you can keep small craft and tenders for free but at low tide the depth is such that I might touch and would suck in a bit of mud possible.

·
3,701 Posts
We used to have a Sea Doo jet boat which we sold when I started down the path to owning a Cobra.

The thing was a blast! Had twin 80 hp Rotax engines and wasn't much bigger then a small car. Easily could pull a skier and did alot of the tricks that a jet ski can do - like suddenly cut the throttle, crank the wheel real hard and watch her spin. I also liked to throw it in reverse while coming to a stop and the front would actually go under water! Talk about surprising your passengers. It wouldn't sink because it was full of foam, but it took a bit to get it back up onto plane to get all the water out.

It sat 3 across the back and there was room for one brave sole in the front.

I bought it brand new, and never had any problems with it. As I recall, you were suppose to run them in waist deep water, because the impeller could suck up debris from the bottom. I wouldn't think there would be a problem with the engine off.

Here is a link to one on Ebay

·
18,090 Posts
Okay - second time I will try to send this message... :rolleyes: Wireless connection craps out every time the phone rings...

I don't know a lot other than what my cousins's boats do. One of them is similar to the one you are looking at. I do know that how much they draw is dependant upon loading so if you store it with full fuel is will run a little deeper. I think Joe told me his boat was about 18".

The bad part about jet boats is that you look like a total dork the first couple dozen times you hammer the dock while trying to do low speed manuevers. Jets need RPM in order to rudder the boat. RPM equates to speed. In other words - low speed manuevering just plan sucks (and blows)...

·
Senior Charter Member
1,724 Posts
BigFoot: I agree on the steering! That's why you see anyone in a PWC and they are steering it left, right, left, right, left ............just to go straight! Same thing with this new toy! They are fun though...........most don't like choppy water. The jet goes in and out and not very efficient. But with smooth water they have no equal 0-30! No boat can outgun a jet, period.

Go for it, its a cheap price.

JQ

·
Junior Charter Member
316 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the boats but I did race jets skis years ago(pre marriage)and I did have one very frustrating experience.
After my race I simply dragged it up part way on the beach,the rear was still partly in the water,and throughout the remainder of the day the waves sunk it into the sand somewhat,no big deal right?WRONG!!!
It seems a tiny rock made its way into the port where the jet pump feeds the engine partially blocking it,I had no idea this had happened.
When it was time to go I dragged it out into the water to flush out the pump,just shook it around a bit then loaded it up.
The next time I go out with it it overheats like a bastard,eventually we find the problem but I just about went nuts in the meantime.
I will say this though,even though I overheated it that thing ran perfectly after,just a testament on the quality of the Kawasaki product,in my opinion.
Never been in a jet boat but if they are anything like a PWC you won't regret it!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
To be a little more specific, Bayliner jet boats use a custom-designed Mercruiser engine (same ownership). When you're up on plane, you can run that thing in 6" of water or so. Having owned several Merc engines, they are middle of the road reliable - better than some, worse than others. Jet drives are extremely simple to fix if you screw one up. And other than a rock, it's pretty hard to screw one up.

They are, no question, a kick in the pants to drive around. The problem with them is that that's ALL these boats are good for - a couple of guys driving around. After an hour or two it gets old.

I wouldn't mind having one at the $3500 price I saw in the ad, but I sure wouldn't pay the $9k new price for one. I would use the heck out of it the first few months, and then it would sit.

Besides, my wife would KILL me if I got another boat. She made me go down to only two...

All the best,
Tag

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
Who know anything about jet boats ?

Invented by Bill Hamilton so he could get his boat up the shallow NZ rivers so he could go fishing.

In NZ we use this ...

to do this ... click on Jetsprint Ride on the Menu (~2.15MB)

[ May 25, 2004, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Doug I ]

·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Doug, I've seen those NZ's cranking their boats around the course in competitions on the Speed channel. Pretty amazing machines! Don't think the wive would like that though !!

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
It's always a rush when the navigator points left but the water goes right ....

Couple of times I've been in a boat where we just about ran out of water. The water surface goes from smooth to rippled where the gravel starts to show through. Give it as much gas as you can, back off and flick the steering so the hull pushes a little bit of water in front of you as you go across the shallow bit sideways. always hoping the jet unit doesn't suck all the water from under you and you end up parked in about an inch of water.

Once we did run out of water. Backed right off and slid across the gravel until we reached the water channel on the other side. Stones make an interesting noise going through the jet unit. Give it a few seconds to clear and we were off again.

regards
Doug I

·
Registered
132 Posts
Don't know what kind of boating enviroment you're boating in, (rocky or sandy bottom) but I've had experiance with both. Personally, I'll never own a jet boat again unless its a jet ski. First of all, the engines are two small, thats why they have two engines on an 16 to 18 ft. boat and rev too high for my tast. Their also expensive to service and if one engine isn't working right, you're not going boating.

I do my boating in south Florida where our bottom is mostly sandy and for my money you can't beat a 4-stroke outboard. The're very quiet, available up to 250hp, use less fuel, can be tilted out of the water and warranties are available for up to 5 yrs. Jets are "toy boats", get a real one.

·
1,418 Posts
If your in ruff water or with alot of other boats
around chopping up the water the ride will beat the hell out of ya in a small boat. And Shodan is right, it gets old fast.

·
Junior Charter Member
98 Posts
I owned a Bayliner Jazz (same size, engine, etc. but no windshield) for several years. Great little boat for smooth/semi-smooth water. Ran like a scalded cat with no maintenance for 3 years. I bought it used with a sick engine - somebody sucked sand into the intake and blocked some of the cooling jackets. I rebuilt the engine for under $800. We went into areas with 18" of water with no problems. I ran over a plastic bottle one time and sucked it into the intake, had to limp it to the shore and dig it out but it didn't hurt anything. If you can buy it right, it can be great fun. I lost maybe $500 on mine when I sold it 3 years later (even after the cost of the rebuild).

·
2,372 Posts
I own more small boats right now than I care to admit!Including 2 small jet boats. My take on jet boats.
They are fun toys but they are more of a toy than a serious boat,any more than an hour or so and you will be heading ashore to get some advil for your engine screaming, headache.For a day of cruising, or for more than a short blast, a small jet boat gets irritating
Jets are a very inefficient drive system,90 hp in a jet boat is borderline marginal hp. Ajet drive will give you roughly half of the equivilent power of a prop boat per hp.I have a small 10' jet boat,under 600 pounds with a 75 hp .Its top speed is around 35 mph in smooth water. I also have a small 10' similar type hull outboard with a 50 hp,It will hit around 55 if you are brave enough to hold it open. From any speed including dead stop the outboard will positivly leave the jet boat sucking its wake.
A jet boat can do acrobatics that a prop boat could only dream of. When both are sitting at the end of the dock,I chose the jet boat 70 % of the time for short blasts. If I was limited to one boat I would chose the prop boat. Yes a lot of time in a jet boat gets really annoying.

·
Just Glad to be here - back to working on the car
1,633 Posts
This would be my choice for a jet boat, a bit pricy but the WOW !!! factor is something else.
:D :D

MK5- Jet Boat

·
5,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks to all who gave their .02 here. Shawn in particular, very objective comments.

My problem with making a decision is that I will be using the boat in two different environments; the Hudson river would be perfect. Flat water, no chop from other boats. Long Island Sound on the other hand can be quite choppy and the distances to get anywhere are greater. The only 'plus' here is where I would keep the boat is free.

I am now thinking a better plan would be something bigger with a standard outboard that I would haul up the Club's launch ramp each time and store it at the back of our boat yard. This would be able to handle both environs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts