Factory Five Racing Forum banner

Who has the best louvers?

597 views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  G4AV8R 
#1 ·
I have just finished my second season on the road and have never been happy with the aftermarket louvers I bought for my car. The louver angles don't align with the cut out. One popped out under the force of my knee and I have never put it back in as I've been thinking about alternatives. Suggestions?

#5 ·
Also vote Finishlines and I installed mine with industral velcro. This way I can pull them out if needed to reach in to access wiring plugs, etc.

They have never come off with the velcro if I did not want them too!

#6 ·
Ralph,
What brand of industrial Velcro do you use? I've tried to use a quality (can't remember brand) product and have never had luck with durability of the adhesive that attaches the velcro to the objects that are to be stuck together. The hook & loop part works great. I can't imagine what I'm doing wrong as the 2 cases I'm referring to are: attaching very small surround sound speakers to oak paneling and attaching a small processor for A/F ratio to the back of my dash.
Regarding the louver attachment, does it make sense to epoxy the glue-side of one of the Velcro halves to the area in question?
BTW- I also recommend Finishline. I had mine powdercoated and they are flawless.

#7 ·
Ok... should have been clearer on the velcro attachement...

Attaching the velcro to anything - sticky side - usually has not held up well. I have an aluminum L bracket rivited to the top and bottom of the Finishline louvers. I then glued using Gorilla glue the velcro to the inside of the body of the car. Clamped it over night with a long stick to be sure it was flat. Next I put some foam tape on the L bracket and then the velcro to that. The foam was to build up the velcro to allow it to "conform" to any irregularities. I also glued all these to the L bracket with Gorilla glue. And finally I marked on the top of the brackets top left or top right... so even I would know which side there were for! :rolleyes:

I slip them into the opening and pull them up tight... and they stay... never move! The actual velcro I used I got from Home Depot and they have it marked as industrial and able to glue to anything... (which of course the sticky part starts to fail in less than a month when used on a car!)

The louvers make great access openings to get to things when installed this way.

#8 ·
Larry Johnson must be busy. Usually when this question gets asked he posts the mosted posted picture in the history of the forum.

Wait for it...he'll get here...c'mon Larry, show us the picture!!! :D

AJ

OK, AJ, here you go...

Genuine Original FFR units, ceramic coated and polished
Larry Johnson

[ December 07, 2004, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Larry N. Johnson ]

#11 ·
As Todd mentioned, I found that louvers can be mounted quite permanently with epoxy. Sadly, they can't be taken off and turned around very easily with that method.

Craig

#12 ·
Another vote here for Whitby's louvers.

The "L" brackets that Ralph mentions are part of the Whitby louver design but they are NOT a riveted on after-thought and are part of the aluminum stamping. The 4 brackets come predrilled with holes.

On #3928, I had NCPainter bond short bolts into the backside of the body and we secured the vents with a basic nut. I've heard others use velcro and even a glob of silicone on each bracket to secure the louver to the backside of the body.

When mine was done, I painted the bracket/bolt/nut with flat black to match the underside of my bedliner coated body. You can't tell from the engine bay how my louvers are mounted.

#16 ·
No problems puttin the glue to the sticky side of the velcro!

Never knew Jeff had louvers till well after I moved from Maine to NC! he does make not just good stuff but well thought out designs!

#17 ·
Here is an idea that Todd Buttrick came up with, to help mount the louvers and make them easily removable. Use the two pins on the back of the emblem above the louver to hold the top L brackets in place. The pins can be threaded so that a lock nut screws on and holds the L bracket/louver and the emblem in place. On the bottom, use velcro to hold the L bracket to the body.

HTH

Tom

#19 ·
Re- sticky side of velcro. I too found it didn't stick well at all. I used some caulk gun adhesive,(liquid nails), that stiks like crazy. I have used it for numerous velcro applications, and never been disappointed. Good luck,Randy Richards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.