Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have re-upholstered the seats after having enough "purple" time, how did they come out? Did you do any custom touches to match your car? Materials? Bolsters?

I'd like to see and hear....

·
Not a waxer
11,768 Posts
If the upholstery is intact and you just want to renew them so they aren't purple give them a dye job.

Street Performer dye job

It's been 10 years since I made that post and I think I've hit them twice more since then, leaving them in the car for these subsequent "touch ups". I'm still 100% satisfied with the results.

Jeff

·
Caress of Steel
2,129 Posts
Got a little sticker shock when I looked into it locally so I've just been using spray fabric dye on them every other year or so to refresh the look. Still the best all-around cruising/spirited driving seats for these cars I think, plenty of side support with padding behind the head only as high as it's needed, comfy enough for long cruises, and easy to get in and out.

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine are quite beaten up after 15 years of both street and track. Many colors, permanent belt stripes, padding pretty much shot.

Looking at a full rebuild, or just better to replace.

BUT, I want better material and custom to match the car, hence the desire to look at custom work

·
Registered
396 Posts
The Cobra Clubman seats are the same as the old Street Performer seats.

Cobra Clubman Racing Seats | Sube Sports
www.subesports.com

They have black, grey, red and blue. I got grey. Got mine 2 years ago, and I love them. Always concerned about a rear end collision with the standard low-back seats, so I replaced them.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Cheaper to throw them in the trash and and get the Cobra Clubmans. I was quoted $600, EACH. These upholstery shops think they are building for some TV show with no limit on budget.

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
Have had mine reupholstered twice. Each time the price was around 600 for the pair. If you do get them re done, you will be absolutely amazed about how little padding is actually used. Mine only had a 1/4 inch thick piece of foam and a masonite panel in the backrest. Obviously that was taken care of at the same time.

These seats are not made for long term use. They are IMO, a throwaway race seat, designed for one or two seasons of use.

·
3,558 Posts
I went to get mine recovered and the foam was crumbling to dust. It was cheaper to get new ones from Sube! Cloth and foam is much nicer! After 13 years, dying them made them look better, but they were shot!

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Interesting question. Sixteen years after getting my MKII components from FFR, and over 20,000 miles of service, I had my Street Performers reupholstered in Springfield MA for approximately $750.00. After those 13 years in the car,all of the seat foam padding had deteriorated to powder. What you read in earlier posts here about the seats' minimal padding was true, but I found the size and headrest aspects of those seats worth keeping. Once reupholstered, the seats are now very comfortable for someone my size (170 lbs. and about 5'-8" tall). The reupholster;y resulted in seat cushions about 1 1/2-inch thicker: no problem. The so-called high-back plastic grommets are a custom shape, so those were retained, but the ones to either side of the seat cushions were replaced. Here I have a caution: I installed 3-inch racing belts during the build, and it was somewhat tricky to feed the metal adjuster portions of the lap belts through, but persistence won out. Overall, since I wanted to retain high-back seats for safety reasons, I found the size and tube frame construction of the SP seats worth retaining. I used Martin's Reupholstery (Martin Dean) 413-427-5524 in case anyone is interested, and I am very satisfied with Martin's work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts