Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the Whitby bracket to add power brakes on a completed car? I have the Jeep M/C, and PBR brakes up front and T-Bird stock discs in rear. After driving on them some, they are just a little too squirrely for comfort. I will try to add some aftermarket pads first, but I may go with power brakes if I can safely add them after paint. The thought of brake fluid spraying and dripping on my paint when I try to do this is scaring me though.
Raul

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
Raul,
We have added to a finished car, Eric Roberts just did so as well, so it can be done at home. Eric said his biggest challenge was changing the pedal box install of the booster push rod. let us know if we can help
Thanks
Jeff
www.whitbymotorcars.com

·
Senior Charter Member
1,222 Posts
Just_Bitten

Can you elaborate on why you think the brakes are too squirrely. I am going to be using the same setup so I would like to know why you want to change it. Is it your pads, master cyl choice, did you modify the pedal? I dont want to use power brakes and I only want to build the car once. Any info you can give me will help. Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Raul,

I bought the Whitby kit when placing the order for the car. It is truly a bolt-in masterpiece that is easily installed and gives more than enough clearance. However, I wish I had welded this piece in simply for appearance reasons only.
George

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trevor,
It's mostly that it's not easy to stop the car on a dime. With a car this light, that should be a given in my mind. The brakes are decent, and others with this setup say it's good, but just not the same as power brakes. I need to drive the car more after getting higher end pads, before deciding for sure. Wish I had seen that bracket earlier on and I would have made the mod. What booster and MC is shown in the pic above?
Raul

·
Just Pluggin Along
1,175 Posts
Raul,

It is a stock '91 booster and MC. I have had manual brakes in the past and they are a lot of work. With this setup the car can stop on a dime with not a lot of effort.

Cai

·
743 Posts
Trevor,

I am using the same setup as your thinking of. I did the brake pedal mod, and added carbotech pads. I then added a Whitby's adjustible rod to fine tune the brake pedal. I use the car for street and track and the brakes work very well.

Bob C

1 - 8 of 8 Posts