Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have both soft and hard tops? If so, is there a problem switching tops? I have not installed my Whitby soft top yet and was wondering if the windshield angle was different for either top. I am also wondering how the they function at highway speeds and if there is a noise level change or speed restriction with either top. Any recommendations/suggestions and pictures of your install would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I only have the soft top on my car. I have not tried to remove it yet.
My Whitby top tends to bow up at highway speeds. There is a four inch gap between the crossbrace and the fabric. Seems to be in a low pressure area that lifts the fabric just behind the windshield.
I have been in a car with a hard top installed and the owner (Drew Porta) remarked that it seemed much louder with the top installed.
And I am reasonably sure that the top will handle legal speeds up to 70mph on public roads...ok, 75mph...alright, so maybe I temporarily strayed into some higher speeds, but the point is that the top did not self-destroy up to that point.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
I have an Everett Morrison soft top on my FFR. I beleive the Whitby top may have used this as a model becuase they look very similar. I didn't like the way it opened up above the side curtains at highway speeds. I made a couple of modifications to fix it. I copied a long time forum member (David Ward) that I don't beleive has his FFR anymore. These simple modifications made his soft top rock solid even at 100mph.

To do this I fabbed up an additional cross bow that runs midway between the windshield and the original cross bows that came with the top that run roughly over the seats. I also added side bows that run front to rear down each side directly over the side curtains. I did the whole thing by bending up stainless tubing and it looks just like the original bows that came with the top. Now if I can only get someone to weld a couple of spots as they are stainless steel I'd have mine all done.

·
Junior Charter Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Matt,

How is the top attached to the additional bows or do the bows just tighten the fabric up a bit. I would like to see some pictures of your modification because it sounds like a very good idea.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
607 Posts
Go to my website and look in the "Soft Top Mods" album. This is an Everett Morrison top and the Whitby top was actually patterned after this one with a larger rear window (which was badly needed). Any questions post here or send me an email. It's stable at speeds over 100 mph, and can be driven with the windows open without flapping.

By the way, these cars are louder with the top on, whether it's a hard top or a soft top.

David

·
Charter Member
1,777 Posts
I have the Whitby soft top and do not have much of a gap at speed (up to 80 MPH)have not travelled with teh top much quicker than that. A hard top and soft top sounds like a great combination.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
The hardtops can be used with the soft top if you put clearance holes in the HT flange to clear the ST snaps in the body. Our tops have the additional bows designed by David. David also had snaps in the side bows that run down the top of the side windows. We do not typically use these but they could be added if needed. We have tested the top to 110MPH( on the track of course) with good results. I recomend the windshield tension bar for sustained high speeds. By the way we have aquired a few HT through trade if anyone is interested. The cars are considerably louder with either top installed, the HT seems louder than the ST. David it is good to hear from you. we missed seeing you and Trish at the Christmas party this year.

·
Junior Charter Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff,

I received your ST mid October, but haven't installed yet since I am currently deployed to Kosovo. Currently I am gathering information so when I get back I will have the info handy. What is the price of your HT and does it come with side windows?

Kennie

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
Hey David, my appologies for the mention that you might not be around these parts any longer - just hadn't seen you here very often lately...

Canuhover, just check out Davids pics/mods! Sounds like the Whitby top is the way to go!

·
2,860 Posts
Jeff, I do have a question on the Whitby soft-top. I have a FFR tonneau; needless to say there is a line of "Lift-the-Dot' fasteners. I would be surprised if the fasteners could also be used for the soft-top (locations wrong). Any thoughts. Always something! :D

·
Premium Member
1,722 Posts
We put on an FFR tonneau yesterday, and used the same locations for the sanps that we use for the soft top, because the owner plans to add one later.
If the tonneau snaps are down first, I think they will be close enough to work. The 2.875 dimension for the trunk opening to the center rear snap is the same, and the two side hoes with the template are the same as well. If anything I would think the tonneau would have more snaps than the top, and you could add more to the top to make them match or simply leave a few out. The two main things you want to do with snaps is hold the top or tonneau to the car, and be sure they are located symetrically so they look good when the top is in the trunk. I think you will be OK

·
2,860 Posts
Thanks, Jeff. Good to here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.