Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm nearing crunch time for buying wheels for my roadster. The cockpit panels will be done this week, then the brake and fuel lines will go in, at which time, it'll be a roller :D I've all but decided that I want 17" and chrome, with 10.5's and 9's, but the style is still undecided. I like the chrome FR500's

but I haven't seen any on a blue or silver car to compare with the finished product I'm looking for. I also like these:

but I have yet to see these on an FFR.
Also, I used a 91 as my donor, so I have fox spindles with a 5 lug 4 wheel disc upgrade, and the 3-link rear. Will I have any fitment issues with these? I've done some research on this, but I've decided I don't know enough to effectively search for what I need. As always, any info, help, and *pictures* are greatly appreciated.
Rob

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Look in the wheel and tire forum. Lots of pics of these mounted

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
The only problem may be a slight interference on the front wheels, that is easy to overcome. 255/40 fronts and 315 rears. Should be fine. As for blue with these wheels.... Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Like the first choice better. Good looking rim.
I used the 9" up front with 245's and if you remember have more then enough clearence. Front tires are tucked in enough nothing gets slung onto the rear fenders. Real concern once you have paint. 295's on rear are not even close to touching.

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm leaning more towards the Cobra R's. I had heard there was a clearence issue with the center caps on the 9" wheels with the fox spindles. Is that true?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have the second ones. Lots of compliments and the car is still in Kart Stage.

Both sure are purty.

Cheers,
Ivan

·
El Conquestador
1,089 Posts
FR500 all the way!

·
Not a waxer
12,066 Posts
I have the O-E Wheels shown in the second pic. They clear Lincoln rotors on Fox spindles. I don't know about the FR500s w/ Fox spindles but suspect there may be the same center cap interference as is often encountered with Bullitts due to the shallow mounting surface. This was a big factor in my decision to use the Cobra R inspired wheel. I theorized, and was very happy to find, that the thick center with deeply recessed lugs would clear. Well, that plus I just like the look too! BTW, I have 3 link rear also; they're snug but clear.
O-E Wheels delivered promptly and I'm completely happy with the product. Spring for the additional insurance though (it was only like $12). There has been at least one post from someone who did not and when a wheel arrived damaged O-E and UPS both denied responsibility.

Good luck,
Jeff

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jeff and Ivan. I think that's the confidence booster I needed.
Rob

·
Chief Cook and Bottlewasher
1,396 Posts
FR500 for me. In chrome. Check out Mustangtuning.com. The site name may havebeen changed to Americanmuscle.com. It should link you right to it. Great service, prices = or better than others, mounted, balanced and done. Worked grat for me.

245s and 315s worked fine on SN95s and a 3-link.

Only problem is that you have to chrome everything else, too.

Steve

·
Gelcoat Driving Maniac!
4,373 Posts
I plan to go with the chrome FR500's on my build so that would be my vote. Has anyone seen an 18x10.5 chrome FR500? It looks like they only have 17.

·
Junior Charter Member
900 Posts
I bought the Cobra R's as in the second pic. 17x10.5 w/315x35s rear and 17x9 w/275x40s on the front. No problems with my stock 4 link and stock fox spindles in the front. I have the center with gray tone paint... bought them from O-E wheels..great price for rim/tire combo

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,700 Posts
Bullitts have a center cap problem on the front w/ Fox spindles/MkIII 5 lug rotors.Cobra Rs fit fine. no experience w/ others

·
FFR Cobra King
761 Posts
I'm just a bit partial to the second type mentioned.

KC

·
consummate slacker
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
KC, those look great. I think I'm going to go with them. I think OE are the only dealers of the Cobra R's with the rivet pattern. Anyone know of anyone else?

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
ummm ... my .02

1 - 19 of 19 Posts