Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
5,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should get kit in a month or so, still gathering all the parts. Current situation is which transmission I should use and/or where I should pick on up at. Looking to use a 351w w/ 400hp, not to be raced (well... maybe once or twice). Which transmission is recommended for this setup and where should one look to get one?

Thanks!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,594 Posts
T5 should work swell for that, but I'd call Forte for his take. He sells both and has no bias.

Paul

·
Charter Member
869 Posts
I wrecked my newly (by myself) rebuilt stock T5 with my 310hp & 480 nm. It can handle about 330 lb torque, get a tremec 5 or 600. That´s my tip.
$ 1650 at FiveStarFord and Max I think....
Peter

·
Senior Charter Member
1,724 Posts
T-5 with 400hp or 400 torque will domino in no time.

Minimum TKO500 then you don't have to worry. Same as I have, same motor.

Never race it, that's what I said, but still feel the need for speed everytime I get her out.

JQ

·
Registered
7,823 Posts
If you are a smooth driver and am going to treat the car nice...go T5. At 75 lbs, it is a lot lighter than the Tremec.
If you plan on beating the [email protected]* out of it, go Tremec TKO or similar.
I like the T5 for its weight, If you get a late one it will handle 300+ horsepower all day long. But then if you shift like my wife does with 400 Hp, it wont last long!
(I love her really!)

·
OT Moderator
13,931 Posts
I'd also say to go with at least a TKO 500 from Tremec. I wouldn't trust a T5 with the torque generated from a 351w. Spend the extra $$$ on a TKO 500 and not worry about it. The cost of having to pull a T5 if and when it goes is far greater a few hundred more upfront for the TKO.

IMHO the TKO is a no brainer for a 351W. Do it once, and do it right. Cut the few hundred extra somewhere else on your build, but not on the tranny.

HTH, Rob.

·
Charter Member
167 Posts
I've got a TKO600 with over 550HP, that I'm still trying to destroy (actually other than lots of tire smoke I'm very easy on my equipment). Other than the assumed bulletproof nature it has options on mounting the shifter that were really appreciated. I was able to mount the reverse lock out mustang shifter further forward than I've seen on most other FFR's, it's very comfortable, next best thing to a mid shifter.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
I've got a Tremec in my truck. Shifting is no pleasure, esp. when cold.

There are two options for strengthening a T-5 (in the form of aftermarket gear sets and a few other parts). Gordon makes one that should work on any smallblock in an FFR, G-Force makes one they recommend for 600 HP/500 ft-lbs on a 3,300 pound vehicle with drag radials! Gordon's is about $1050 (built) + core, G-Force is about $1100 for the kit or $1350 built + core.

Both are a bargin compared to a TKO. By swapping out the Mustang tail housing for a Chevy S-10 tail housing (which uses the a T-56 style shifter), you can also have mid-shift. You're limited to mid-80s tail housings if you want to use a mechanical spedo, or just about any year for an electric spedo. Several people here have done it and posted instructions.

Mike

[ September 13, 2005, 01:23 AM: Message edited by: Michael Stora ]

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Brian,
If you're looking for a Tremec I have all of the Tremec models in stock along with midshifters, aluminum or steel bellhousings, flywheels in aluminum or steel, clutches, forks, cables, driveshaft & lots more.
Call me with any questions or quotes on the best prices available.
Mike Forte

1 - 10 of 10 Posts