Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a MKIII with a mostly stock 302. I have a known good T-5 and 3650. My question is do I need or want the 3650? I have a track car so it will NEVER see the track BUT I do lots of very spirited mountain driving. Is there any difference in the install as far as running into problems with the3650? Once again will I really need it? Thanx for the help!!
Tony

·
Premium Member
18,462 Posts
The Tremec 3650 has a different bolt pattern than the T-5, right?

The T-5 is pretty solid. A lot of us drive hard at times (slam gear shifts) and it holds up well. Shifts smoother that a Tremec, too.

·
Cobra Padawan
272 Posts
I was looking at the TKO. Says it's lighter than the T56 or T3650 and has multiple locations to attach the shifter, which seems to be advantageous if you're looking to put a short-throw stick closer to the front of the tunnel. Me personally, I have to break down and admit that I got spoiled on the Miata's shifting, and I'll be trying to mimic that in my build. Anybody have an opinion on whether the TKO could accomplish that?

·
Junior Charter Member
1,080 Posts
I have a TKO and a Miata, you will not like the TKO if you want it to shift like your Miata. I like them both, but couldn't be more different.

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
I absolutely love my TR3550 with the pro 50 shifter . Never had one on any of the 13 Mustangs I had just the 14th and the Ffr. I find the T5 marginal and I have broken the stock shifters. The shifting on the t5 is smooth and easy the tremec is more mechanical feeling. Get Gordon to fix one for you . Bob

·
Premium Member
18,135 Posts
I love driving my Tremec TKO. Yes, it's a little notchy, but I love that feel. Then I test drove a new Mustang with a 5 speed. I think the shift mechanisms are made from worn out bungee cords. Seemed light, vague and way too soft. If I had a new(er) T5, I'de change the shifter to recreate that solid feel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.