Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I added power steering to my car I used a stock('93 mustang) reman pump from Autozone - a Duralast pump. It lasted about 12,000 miles & just quit working. It had a lifetime warranty so they gave me a new one. I've installed the new one, and it works, but it is unbelievably noisy. Yes I have all the air out and it has 3000 miles on, but the noise is not getting any better. I talked to Autozone, and they admitted they haven't had the best of luck with their ps pumps lately. They offered to give me a new one or give me my money back. I think I'll get my money back, but what pump should I try now?

I want to stay with the stock pump because I'm totally set up for that - bracket, pulley, belt and lines.

O'Reilly's has a stock pump made by Cadone. Would that be alot better? Any other suggestions?

Thanks

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Reman pumps

Mike:

I think that Ford PS pumps are known as a little noisy anyway due to their design, but if they are assembled or wear parts are not replaced they might not leak, but they will make a racket. Most big chain outfits are outsourcing their reman work offshore and the quality is going in the sh*&^ter so they can cut a few bucks from the cost. I'm not sure who is doing the work on the Ford brand remanufactured products but they might be a little higher quality. I know the Ford dealer network uses them.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=1993&m=Ford&mo=Mustang#Search

Ron

·
Registered
919 Posts
Cadone used to be a good brand of reman. They have been around for a long time, since the mid 70's at least.

Jack

·
Registered
127 Posts
power steering pump

I installed one from Orielys about a month ago. Makes a lot of noise. As much as the electric power steering pump I took off. Not all of the time, but enough to where its annoying. I think I will try the Lucas power steering fix before I replace it. Worth a shot I guess. Mike

·
Registered
727 Posts
Try using Honda PS fluid.
X2 on the Honda fluid. I have the Autozone re-man, did the cut spring mod and filled the system with Honda fluid. It is very quiet. -- Chuck

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Sounds like it can be hit or miss with any of these pumps. My first Autozone was quiet but only lasted for 12k and now this one works, but is noisy as hell. When you can hear the pump over the pipes when accelerating around a corner it sucks!

Mike S., it sounds like your Cardone one from O'Reillys isn't much better. Can you still do the spring mod with the AGR pumps? I guess I wouldn't mind paying extra if the pump would last & be relatively quiet.

Any other good options?

·
Always changing something
223 Posts
Mike,
I did a lot of research in preparation for a PS conversion this winter. I ended up going with a KRC pump. Yes they are expensive, but they are tough as nails, would look great in that beautiful cobra of yours, and you can get a 1,200 psi popoff valve so you don't blow the seals out of your rack. Try a search on KRC on the forum.
Frank

·
3,596 Posts
I've been using the AGR pump with the spring cut for four years now. Everything seems to be just fine. But the cooler I also installed couldn't have hurt anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.