Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be ordering a kit in the near future! Excited, but I would like to know which options (particularly extra parts I need)

Planning on

1) Gloss Black powder coat
2) Body cut outs

But I had questions on the following,

3) Chrome Rollbar - how is the quality of the chrome with the kit?

4) Koni coil over w/ tubular front lower control arms - will I need anything off a donor mustang to complete the suspension parts here?

5) Custom fit wiring harness - ?

I was planning on buying the steering rack as well with the kit, so besides the wheels and drivetrain and brakes would I have everything to complete the car?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,649 Posts
Franky - congrats on taking that first step! If I were ordering again, I would go basic on the initial order. I have changed my mind too often during the build and wished I maybe had gone another route. The "extra parts box" is filling up.

Roll bars - go bare. You can find a local service to powder coat or chrome much later in the build. Unless you know what color you will paint the car, chrome or powder coat may look better. I can't speak to the quality of the chrome since I have the powder coat.

Suspension - Kit will come with everything you need if you order the FFR LCAs and Konis.

Wiring - some good aftermarket harnesses out there. I ordered the carb kit with mine (AAW) but understand that they now come with Ron Francis kits. I-squared is another option you may want to consider.

I would stay away from ordering now what you "think" you need until you "know" what you need as your build progresses. Of course, if you stay on here too long, you'll change your mind many more times AND blow your budget. :D

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
Are you going to want a 3 link or IRS? If you are tall, the smaller leather covered steering wheel is nice to have, it will give you a little more leg room. Do you have a donor? you might think about the radiator, or get one later from one of the vendors. What instruments? I'm sure there are other items that you could include with your order, but one of the great things about building one of these is you can spread out the expenditures over time, if you need to.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would like to go 100% non donor,

I was looking at the radiator and BB oil cooler as well, for instruments I was going to get the autometer set as well as a few other accessories i.e. sunvisor , wind wings etc...

but as far as the meat and potatoes,

I was hoping if I bought the suspension kit, steering column, etc I could avoid donor car.

I already know im planning in a 460 or a 460/514, but im leaning to the 460 right now I think. I am only 23 years old so I missed the muscle era, so im bringing it back

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
If you're going to go with a big block, you might think about power steering, and that requires a pump, hoses, brackets and a power rack. FFR needs to know if you are using power steering or not, the steering shaft is different, depending on type. The PS brackets can usually be found in a junk yard, and the pump cam be bought rebuilt as well as the rack, but you will have to pay a core charge, since you don't have one to exchange. Decide on what type of spindles you will be using, because different wheels might be required depending on the type of spindle. also get the rear coilover kit with your order. Since you are 23, allow yourself a couple of years to complete the build, that way your insurance premiums won't be so astronomical, once you turn 25.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was looking at the 3 link btw

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
Everything Brian said! You'll change your build plan as you go.

Also, if you're going BB and not using any of the drive train from a donor, there's not much on the car you'd be using, especially since your using aftermarket gauges, LCA etc.

I'd just source out everything else.

Welcome aboard, keep us posted about your build. We like lots of pics.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Does anyone have experience with FFR's complete brake assembly?

·
master craftsman
5,597 Posts
Ron Francis kit from FFR it's fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!3 hours and the car was wired, dash and all.........enough said. I'm originally from Buffalo, West Seneca.........you? Steven

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,384 Posts
Welcome Franky,

I went with the IRS and I'm extremely happy that I did. My plan for use of the car may be a little different than yours. I don't plan to drag race my car. In that situation the IRS would take a beating.

Just a couple of notes. I did a lot of small modifications to the frame, e.g. ground tabs, tranny tunnel narrowing, seat mount bracing, brace for pax grab bar, trunk mod etc. Then I painted the frame the color to match the car. If you do anything similar I would skip the powder coated frame.

Wiring: Mine is a non-donor build and I ordered the carb version of the wiring from factory five. I ended up doing so many changes to that setup that I would have been much better off saving the money and putting it toward the I squared system that I've heard a lot about. I don't know much about the Ron Francis kit for FFR but the components I bought from Ron Francis to put together my own designed wiring were top notch.

Mike M.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the tips, im from Lancaster btw... if you know any cobra clubs around that would be awesome,

what is this Ron Francis kit everyone is talking about?

·
Registered
154 Posts
For what its worth, the chrome on my roll-bar is very good. I don't know if I just got lucky, or if they are all good. I am very happy with the quality of everything I received from ffr. If you do order, your in for a long, frustrating build that you will enjoy very much.

·
1,539 Posts
The Chrome on my rollbar is also very good. Chrome rollbars are the way to go IMHO

Andy

·
1,539 Posts
The Chrome on my rollbar is also very good. Chrome rollbars are the way to go IMHO

Andy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts