Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to replace the oil pan on my car. I bought it complete. It has a 91 302. I see a variety of pans for a 302 front, rear, and dual sump. Anybody know what I need to replace it? Is their room for a higher capacity, and if there is what size limitations should i be aware of?

Thanks for your help,

Wayne

·
Senior Charter Member
1,230 Posts
I think you have a dual sump pan (with a hump in the middle). There are a whole variety of pans that will fit a 302 and work in an FFR. If it is not damaged and you are not doing serious road racing then there is really no reason to replace it, there is a guy on this forum named James who has many track days and many hundreds (like over 1000 I think) of auto-x runs and he uses a stock oil pan. But if you really want to replace it you can get a Canton pan that is nice, Levy Racing and Quality Roadsters both offer oil pans that are custom made to fit FFR roadsters and are intended for road racing and auto-X. I went the cheap route and got a "claimer" oil pan from HotZone performance, its actually a circle track pan but it holds 9quarts (plus one for the filter makes it a 10qt system), it doesnt hang down below the frame rails, it came with the pickup, and it was only $100. I did need to oval out a few of the holes to get it to bolt up and I had to trim some of the internal baffeling so that the pan would not hang up when removing it, but that was easy. I know that some people will have a problem with running a circle track pan, but it has more capacity than any other pan I have seen, and it does have oil control trap doors to prevent oil starvation under heavy braking, and I am only using it for street driving. I think its more than adiquate and a good value. If you have money to burn and want the best I would go with the pan Levy Racing sells, otherwise the claimer pan.

Here are some pics of what it looks like,

·
Registered
867 Posts
I got the autocross/road race pan from Breeze. It doesn't hang down below the frame rails, keeps the oil where it belongs when on the track. Looks good too.
:D

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I used the donor pan. It is very effective at holding oil without spilling it, as it did for 120,000 miles in the Mustang, and every other Mustang made by Ford. For street driving, I just don't understand why someone is compelled to spend money on fancy schmancy oil pan. Bragging rights, I guess. ;)

Just my .02

-Greg

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Originally posted by gbranham:
I used the donor pan. It is very effective at holding oil without spilling it, as it did for 120,000 miles in the Mustang, and every other Mustang made by Ford. For street driving, I just don't understand why someone is compelled to spend money on fancy schmancy oil pan...
Well, if your 351w engine 'donor' was a 1989 E350 van, you might have difficulty with that premise. ;)

But I do like fancy schmancy!! :D

Quality Roadsters doesn't sell any specialty components like this anymore to my knowledge. I think Chris is now focussing exclusively on his business as Mass-Flo EFI.

Breeze still sells the pan Quality Roadsters asked Canton to build. It comes with provision for temp. sensor, dip-stick, has built in windage tray and crank scraper as well as baffled compartment bottom. The 351w model I got also included the pickup and screw-in dip-stick. It was designed to fit nicely above the frame rails in the FFR roadster and so I think this is a decent investment considering all you get with it.

Here's a link to the product description for Breeze's steet/strip 5.0 pan (He offers other, more expensive models as well):

Breeze 5.0l street/strip pan

While I got my 351w version from Quality Roadsters, I have bought a few things from Mark at Breeze as well. He's a top notch guy. He will look after you.

Sean

P.S. Wow! nice job on that pan Ron. Very schweet!

I had one on an old 289 and discovered the casting to quite porous (probably just a cheap replica). It didn't leak so much as 'breathed' oil. Just the odd drip. Take care when you replace the drain plug.

SG

·
Premium Member
18,143 Posts
Well, the first thing you have to ask is, "What are you going to do with it?". Otherwise, it's like saying, "I have to fix my car, what tool should I use?"

Drag and road course pans are differant. Autocross should us a road course pan. A basic street build with no oil cooler and no external filter can use a stock pan. If it's for looks, pick the one you like best. Or refinish the stock pan.

Whatever pan you choose, it should not be more than 7" deep. Be sure to match the pick up to the pan. I've used 2 Canton pans. The first had to be modified to fit, and then leaked through the weld seam. I tossed it in the garbage. I'v heard good things about Champ pans.

I'm using one like in the Breeze link above. It's made by Canton and works well.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,028 Posts
A long while ago some folks were raving about Armando's oil pans. The web site is still up so I think they are still available. Might be worth checking out. Sounds like a very nice pan.(Part no. 406 at $399) or (Part no. 407 at $420 - GT40 pan 1" less high)

John Minton FFR4174

[ April 17, 2007, 10:32 PM: Message edited by: Pathfinder ]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts