Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started considering the safety aspect of the seats the Kirkey's started looking like a better deal. Looking at Summit there seems to be 4 choices:
Intermediate Road Racer
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=KIR%2D47500&view=1&N=700+150+

Pro Street Drag
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KIR%2D41500&N=700+115&autoview=sku

Economy Laybacks
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KIR%2D16400&N=700+400266+4294915209+4294899029+115&autoview=sku

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=KIR%2D09400&N=700+400266+4294915209+4294899029+115&autoview=sku

The pro drag streets are thinner aluminum than the rest so I'm looking at the others. It's hard to decide between the intermediate and economy seats, there's certainly a large price difference and though the aluminum is the same thickness the shape of the intermediate seat is bound to lead to extra stiffness. But without being able to put my hands on both is it worth it? Is there anyone who has tried both of these styles of seat and can comment on comfort and stiffness?

I'm leaning towards the economy laybacks with the smaller side supports. As I'll always be using the full harness I don't think the extra large side supports would be appreciated.

BTW, the Summit price on the road racer seat + cover was higher than FFR's.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
I had the Kirkey's in my car when I got it and immidately took them out. Cant look over your sholder and with these mirrors you cant see anyway. They were hard to get in and out of and if you get them wide enough to get in and out you loose the safety aspect of them and last they were uncomfortable after about 100 miles.

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good info, that would be one vote for the Laybacks then, they don't have the high side supports.

·
Charter Member
250 Posts
In my opinion, the intermediates are the way to go. There are several FFRs and Backdrafts around here with them. I have one on the drivers side and hopefully Santa will pony up one for the copilot here in the next few months..
Cheers,
Richard

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what seats to go with too. I was leaning toward the Intermediate Road Race seat with the Deluxe cover. Kirkey told me the Deluxe seat is the same but thicker. The Deluxe covers are nicer and will fit the Intermediate seat. I like the idea of shoulder supports.

The other seat I've been thinking about is a Sparco Evo or Evo2. I saw that there's somebody on the form that has put them in his roadster. The only thing that turned me off with the Kirkey's is the seat cover doesn't completely cover the back so you can see aluminum. Sure you could paint it but I just don't think it'll look finished enough for my taste.

·
Premium Member
846 Posts
James - I've seen photos of the intermediate cover - is the deluxe cover any larger in the back - i.e. does it cover more of the aluminum?

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got the pro street drag version and love it. I find them very comfortable and supportive. They also sell an inexpensive little lumbar support insert you can take in and out (I currently have it out). There is nothing to block your line of sight when chaning lanes either. The price is right as well. Here are a few pics. I don't think the gauge of the aluminum is related to the safety of the occupants in the car. Other safety components play a much greater part IMO. Yes, the seats need to stay in place but the harness, rollbar and the frame provide the majority of the safety in the car.

·
Junior Charter Member
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nobody has tried the Economy Laybacks?

How difficult is it to clear the sides of the intermediates with the steering wheel in place? The economy laybacks are 9" high on the side whereas the intermediates are only 7" high. If it's tough getting into intermediates the extra 2" would be a killer.

As for mounting it looks like people are going with the 20 degree intermediates and still leaning them back so your legs aren't on the floor or are the seats I've seen at an angle bought with a bifferent layback angle?

Lots of questions but it's a tough item to shop for when you can't test fit them all and compare. I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
16,562 Posts
Jason,
At the beginning of this video you can see me getting in with the intermediates.

And this one gives you an idea of the distance between the wings and the steering wheel.

Getting out isn't very hard either. But they do restrict looking over your shoulder somewhat. I may go with different mirrors to give better visibility.

I used the adjuster from the Mustang (modified) and have them raked back slightly using a 3/4" spacer bar at the front. The bar also allowed for a more secure mounting setup.

Cheers, Rod

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
Take a look at Corbeau seats as an option (slider is about 3/4 tall). They have one that is similar in design to to Kirkey intermediates with a smaller shoulder bolster. Tried the Kirkey Intermediate in my Coupe but had a real problem getting into the car even with removable steering wheel because of the sholder bolster. The Corbeau F/X (I think thats the one ?) was comfortable but I could not wear a helmet for speed events. I then installed the Pro street Kirkey seat for the head room, not as comfortable but I needed the head room.
HTH CB

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm using the Kirkey Intermediate Road Race seats. They are very comfortable and supportive. While the rear view is somewhat compromised, you learn to deal with it. The first way is to find a set of mirrors that WORK and use them. I especially like the security of knowing that in an accident my head is not going to get bounced off as roll bar.

Getting in and out is much easier if you install a racing style removable steering wheel. I did and it was a good investment. Here's an image of my son in the go-kart two summers ago.

Cheers,

Rick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.