Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Charter Member
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2000 miles on #4409, her header bolts are coming loose. Anyone have any luck with a "locking" style of header bolt? If so which brand? With the headers (4 into 4) being custom made for the car, I wonder if there are clearance issues with the tubes by using a locking style.

Thanks for the input!!!!

Ted

·
Charter Member
501 Posts
Stage 8 bolts work well.

·
Been There, Broke That
1,573 Posts
I agree with John, get the Stage 8 bolts. They are a bit of a pain to put on because there is not a lot of room to work with, but once on you will not have to worry any more.

Take care.

Tom

·
7,237 Posts
I like Stage8 too. If you have a reasonably thick header flange (3/8) and a good header gasket like the Earl's gasket, I'd recommend going longer than stock length on the bolts...especially if you have aluminum heads. Stock bolts are 3/4" long. Go at least 1".

·
1,568 Posts
I went with stage 8 bolts and as Wade suggested used 1" bolts. Had to cut down a couple of bolts in order to fit though. Also, called stage 8 and got the cone-like locking fasteners as the halfmoons would have required too much grinding to fit.

·
6,305 Posts
If you go to their website they have a new style locking tab available that makes installation a bit easier. No grinding or filing required. Either way they work excellent.
Frank

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Be sure and get 6 point heads, not the standard 12 point.

The 12 pt heads require a box wrench, which won't fit in a couple of places. With the 6 point bolt heads, you can use an open end wrench.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
i used stage 8 on my last build and breslins in this one, i have not ran the car yet so i dont know how well they work but they are much easier to install, just tighten the bolt then tighten the locking allen key......Vinny

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
Header bolts are one thing you just have to stay on top of. They almost all require retorquing after the first two or three heat cycles. Even the locking type. The reason is, the gaskets tend to compress and take a set, and you loose the torque. What ends up happening is the bolt is held in by the locking device, but the gasket leaks because the header is not held to the head with the proper clamping force.

John

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
JEGS (1-800-345-4545) has a stainless split lock header bolt kit. If you use this with a soft copper gasket it should eliminate your problem.
HTH
CB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts