Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents:

I have two pieces of aluminum for the DS front. We're doing a coyote in a complete Mk 4. The panel on the left came installed on the chassis, the one on the right was in the box with the Wilwoods--I'm assuming the panel on the left is only used if you're using a mustang pedal set?

Should I use the one on the right?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Here are some things to think about:

1) If you are planning to use the FFR supplied clutch quadrant and don't plan on power brakes, the one on the right is best.

2) If you are planning to use the FFR supplied clutch quadrant and are also planning power brakes (either booster or hydroboost) the one on the right is still best but you will need to cut out the area for the booster to attach.

3) If you are planning to "upgrade" to a hydraulic clutch and are planning power brakes, the one on the left is actually better since it is easier to fill the extra hole than it is to carve out the access for the power brake connectors.

Plan ahead carefully on this one. I made the mistake of cutting up the one on the left to use for brackets but after changing out to a hydraulic clutch I found during the go-kart stage I absolutely hated the manual brakes and chose to add a booster. Given what I know now, I wish I had not ruined the one on the left cuz it would have saved me some time and energy during the conversion.

HTH
Todd

Gents:

I have two pieces of aluminum for the DS front. We're doing a coyote in a complete Mk 4. The panel on the left came installed on the chassis, the one on the right was in the box with the Wilwoods--I'm assuming the panel on the left is only used if you're using a mustang pedal set?

Should I use the one on the right?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Funny, I just ran into this same thing on my Coupe - complete kit with Wilwood non-power brakes. I mentioned this on my WordPress page:

wayneyoshidakh6wz

I Cleco-ed the one on the left to my brake/clutch quadrant - and then noticed the other panel in a stack of aluminum.

So I took it off and installed the other one.

Now, after reading Todd's post, I might go back and put the other one on - to provide a possible upgrade path. Or - maybe not.

:confused1:

Another decision to make!!!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
Went through this with my Mk4 build as well... The one of the right is the panel provided for the Wilwood pedal box option. It assumes (1) no cutout required for a master cylinder because you would use the individual Wilwood MC's directly on the pedal box, and (2) you will use the mechanical clutch cable setup, exiting on the far RH top side. Any variations and you can choose which one gives you the best options.

I actually went another direction. I am using the Wilwood pedal box, but with hydroboost PB and a hydraulic clutch. So I bought the blank panel from FFMetals and cut only the exact holes I needed. The .040 aluminum is a piece of cake to cut. Now no extra holes or patches. More than a little anal I guess, but that's what I do. :001_rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.