Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here. I hope I am asking this question in the right area. I know that this is old hat for most of you. I am about to order my Mark III, and am trying to decide on Engine config. At first I wanted to go with something as close to an original as possible-427 BB Side oiler. Then as I looked around I discovered the Roush 402IR/427IR which use a 351 SB as a base and is fuel injected with Weber style stack induction. At the end of the day I want something with around 500HP+- and is absolutely turn key, Dyno tested and broken in, and comes with a good warranty. i want to spend somewhere around 10-15k, but will spend more if that what it takes. I really like the idea of Fuel Injection over Carburated.

My Questions are: Which suppliers are the ones I should be contacting? What are the pros and cons of these two engine choices? I want a quality engine in the end. I am not planning to race, but have racing experience and probably will do a few track days and autocrosses. I am one of those guys that like to cut butter with a chain saw!

Thanks.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
1,123 Posts
FMS 351W. Talk to Mike Forte or Max at Five Star Ford. Top it off with one of Chris Richards Mass-Flo EFI Systems and you are DONE...you will have a rock solid looks-like-carbed but runs like injected workhorse. Well within your budget, too.

·
Premium Member
5,526 Posts
Originally posted by corbrastang:
install the stack system.
yes, Yes, YES... Add the stacks if you can.
"No replacement for displacment"

·
FFCobra Craftsman
711 Posts
1. FMS 392 crate with Mass-Flow injection.

2. 2000 DOHC 4.6 Ford Crate.

Raymond

·
Registered
3 Posts
Alright, guys. Newb w/first post here who can't believe my luck in having forpaw start this thread. W/only one exception, he has the EXACT same situation; has the exact same needs and plans; intends the exact same use; and asked the exact same questions I wanted to.

The one significant exception: want an EFI turnkey engine w/"only" around 400-425 crank hp :D (What can I say? I prefer to cut my butter w/a machete and want a slightly more streetable car).

SO, any engine recommendations and suggested vendors?

Thanks in advance for the help, guys.

·
Registered
717 Posts
You will always get two questions. Is it an original? And is it a 427? If you go with a small block, it's a small block. They are quick, but that's not the point. If I did it again I would go big block. However, I do not know if the new Genesis FE's are good motors. I would consider a FRP 514. A guy in Portland has a ERA with a 427 aluminum block FE. People stand over his engine compartment at shows and drool.

·
6,559 Posts
What RG3 said

·
Registered
984 Posts
I haven't figured out EXACTLY what configuration I want, but I do know that I want a 427W (that's a 351 Windsor motor bored and stroked to 427) with some sort of stack injection. The bennies of the 427W is the bragging rights and the small block has less weight and fewer overheating issues. The bennies of the stacks... just looks dang good. The problem is that no one makes a crate engine with this combo yet (Roush's engine is a 402). Their are a few 427W blocks and a few different ways to get a stack induction. If you download the Ford 2005 parts catalog you will find that they make a 3X2 and a 4X2 intake manifold for the 351W (hence 427W). My latest thought is to go the 3X2 route with Webers on my 427W. That will get the show-goers drooling!

Let us know what you find.

Clutch

·
Charter Member
616 Posts
Hey guys I have been trying to find out some information about the Roush 427RFR engine as to how reliable is it and does this engine run hot in stop and go traffic. Is this engine a good choice for the MKIII? I really would like to use a 427W small block. The Roush engines use the Dart Iron Eagle block which has the 4 bolt main and that I understand that this engine is more beefier to pouch out to a 427 cubic inch. Are there any thoughts on this mater? I am still waiting on my MKIII kit which I was told by Stewart Transport that I should have my kit maybe July 19th or 20th. Thanks!

Jack

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,274 Posts
forpaw, since you're in the GTA why not go see the guys at Active Engines in Mississauga. I know a couple fellas at work that had their engines built there and they have nothing but good things to say for Active's work.

·
Charter Member
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How things change. I have decided once and for all,with little doubt (at least for today!) on an original 427BB side/top oiler from Southern Automotive in Georgia. Spoke with the owner for over an hour the other day and really leanered a lot. Just need to choose between a single or dual Carb set up. Stoked out to 464. This should be a brute! Although I love the look of stacks and the reliability of EFI, I can't do that to an original. I'll have to suffer with Carbs (for now...). Thanks to one and all for the feedback, and I hope this helps others in a similar delema.

·
Registered
717 Posts
A post by Ace about the NW historic races today shows an interesting pic. The first pic shows a torch red car(no stripes) at the top with several people looking at the motor. That's the FE I talked about earlier in this post. Notice the conspicuous absence of people looking at the small block motors (no offense intended). You could have a 427 FE running on 6 cylinders and people would still swoon with WOW factor. There is a mystique about that motor.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Can't go wrong with Bill Parham at Southern. I'm on my second Southern engine (needed a jump in HP). Bill knows how to get fun performance that will operate in Atlanta's traffic without problems.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts