Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a big box in from Summit today with my MSD distibutor. The tag on the distributor says it is equiped with a cast iron gear. I have a Comp cams HR282 cam in my 1995 roller block 351. What distributor gear do i need? Bronze, cast iron or billet steel? Summit tech line was less than helpful telling me i didnt have a roller block that it must be a retrofit roller cam b/c no 351s were roller except SVO. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
18,144 Posts
I asked the Comp Cams tech line, and they said the stock gear on both MSD and Mallory distributers would work just fine.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Don't bother talking to Summit.. Call Comp Cams directly. If you don't get a straight answer from their tech (they are GOOD) - Go to the top and talk with Scooter Brothers.

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you are using a roller cam you will need a bronze gear for your distibutor.
Roller cam's are made of steel not cast iron,if you use a cast iron distibutor gear on a steel cam the gear will wair out or brake.

·
Registered
273 Posts
that's right. A steel roller cam needs either a bronze gear or a steel gear. The cast iron one will fail. I have heard that the bronze gears wear out faster than the steel ones, but we probably don't put enough miles on our cars to worry about it. My donor had an aftermarket distributor with a cast iron gear, it was about to fail on my roller cam engine.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Guys - There are some roller cams made by Comp Cams and Crane Cams that have a cast distributor drive gear on them. Don't ask me how they did it as I have not got a clue - but I know they are out there..

It does not hurt to call the MFGR to make sure about this.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I can't agree with Randy more on this one - contact Comp and ask them about it. NEVER trust any advice from Summit tech. My opinion here - they sell parts - that's all they do, and that's all they care about.

You could go with the new poly dist gear from Comp and you can run any cam you want. It's not cheap though. I'm also not sure they make one for that MSD dist.

I shipped my MSD dist directly to MSD to have them swap the gear. Few shops can handle this process and do it right. I suggest you have MSD do it for you.

Later

Steve

·
Senior Charter Member
4,012 Posts
Brian
I have a 351w and am using an Extreme Energy 273 Comp Cam with rollers and have run both bronze and steel gears. The bronze does wear out much faster than steel. I was told by the comp help desk the bronze is meant for a single use racing application so don't expect mileage from it. True to their words, when I removed the dist, my bronze gear was well worn. I replaced with the steel and have not had a wear issue since.

·
12,669 Posts
JEEEEZZZZZ, this is not a new subject.

in 2003, it must have come up 20 times. Roller cams take steel gears. not cast, and not bronze.
AND you CANNOT take the word of your local parts house that you are getting a steel gear.

Last year, we had cast gears go less than 5 miles on 5.0 roller motors. Mike Mack can get you a steel gear.... but if you want to make sure its steel, take it to your grinder. touch the colar to you stone. if it gives a shower of GOLDEN sparks, its steel.. if it gives off a few dull red sparks, its cast.

I know im gonna get flamed for making this absolute statement... but spend the next 3 hours reading the 2003 archives and you will see.

PS, i meant to say Mike forte...

earl

[ March 01, 2004, 10:37 PM: Message edited by: CobraEarl ]

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi,
If anyone is looking for a roller cam MSD distributor, I stock and sell the MSD distributor with factory installed steeel roller cam gears installed. This saves headaches and broken parts.
Mike Forte
781-273-9900

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
I shipped my MSD dist directly to MSD to have them swap the gear. Few shops can handle this process and do it right. I suggest you have MSD do it for you.
What problems have you had getting this job done? I've done it 2 or 3 times and there wasn't anything to it. You need a drill press to drill the roll pin hole in the new gear and a press to remove and install the gears.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
You are correct, however this requires disassmbly of the distributor and an extremely precise location of the gear on the shaft. The hole also needs to be drilled in the center of the shaft as precisely as possible. I don't have a press and the local speed shop suggested I send the unit to MSD to have it done. If you have the skills and the tools to do it properly yourself, more power to you.

·
12,669 Posts
Originally posted by Matty:
I have a Ford Motorsport crate engine with roller cam that calls for a steel distributor gear. Is the stock distributor gear steel or cast iron?
The gear that is going to be on any STOCK 5.0 HO distributor is going to be steel, unless some one has been monkeying with it.

However, Id give any gear the spark test before installing it. ESPECIALLY if it is on a reman distributor.

Lots of folks buy a reman duraspark distributor for an 85 5 speed mustang that is supposed to have the steel gear... They never do.

just check.

earl

1 - 14 of 14 Posts