Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thinking of replacing the clutch in my donor while I have the chance - engine and tranny are seperated and on stands awaiting install. So am looking for suggestions which one to buy.

Donor is an 04 Mach 1 with 84k miles, Tremec 3650 transmission and 3.27 rear gears. The car will be 95% street use with the ocasional autocross or track day, so I'm looking for a daily driver type clutch.

There seem to be some good deals on the Exedy Stage 2 clutches but I read some older posts that advise staying away from Exedy at all costs ! Speaking of cost, I do not have an unlimited budget so am looking to spend less than $300 on a replacement.

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
739 Posts
I went with the RAM HDX on my daily driven mustang. It is suppose to have better holding power with a similar feeling clutch pedal. The pedal actually felt better than my worn out stock replacement. It has held up to my abuse a lot better than the stock and stock replacement clutches I had before.

Just caution and read many reviews before you buy an aftermarket clutch. The stock replacements will hold just fine at your power level unless you plan to drag race a lot and slip the clutch hard every time. Many of the aftermarket type clutches will give you a heavier pedal for increased holding power (that you won't really need). Some of them also use other clutch materials which may work great at the track, but are grabby and difficult to deal with in traffic. As always, turn the fly wheel, inspect/grease the pilot bearings and use a quality throw out bearing (many of them are junk, and do you really want to pull the tranny out again?).

·
Registered
391 Posts
After speaking with a tech guy at Fordracingparts.com I installed the ford HD Clutch Kit, he said the difference in clutch kits was ease of pedal pressure (cost more) very little difference in performance. Here's the number I ordered from Summit FMS-M-7560-A302N. I have always had good performance with OEM Ford parts. BTW my engine is a 302 with a 70mm turbo, it dyno at 546 HP rear wheels with 616 Lb of torque.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.