Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed my order for my motor yesterday, but now I'm second-guessing my cam choice. Since I still have time to change it, what do you guys think? (The builder usually uses 'X' cam in this motor.)

Motor is a 302 with AFR165 heads. I'll be running EFI with Cobra intake, 70mm TB, 24# injectors and 75mm MAF.

My primarily purpose is for a street toy. I chose the 'B' cam thinking it's a little more driveable than an 'X', but with the 'X' sound.

Anyway, 'B', 'E' or 'X'?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
Trick Flow stage 1- dual grind, better on the exhaust side than B or E cam. Very streetable. Cheap, too. No experience with the X cam

·
Registered
718 Posts
Do you want to spend money for a good cam (will need better springs) or are you looking for a bang for buck cam?

I would run X over B, they'll have same driveability (since they have same timing events) but X has slightly more agressive lobes because of added lift. Heads will benefit from added lift and lobes.

·
Registered
752 Posts
The "E" cam has valve lift that would probably be perfect for a 165cc head. The "X" is more aggressive and better for the 185cc heads.
The "E" will give you a good sounding, slightly lumpy idle, but still delivers good vacuum. Also, if emissions is a concern, Ford developed the "E" cam as an emissions-friendly high performance alternative to the "B" cam. Also, the "E" cam will allow you to use the stock springs. I did a spring rate profile on all the springs out of my donor motor, and all of them still measured the same as new springs, plus they had been heat tempered over 140,000 miles (easy-use mostly highway).
That said, the Holley system I cam is expensive, but said to be excellent.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Dave,
You've seen my engine. It's a slightly worked carb'd 302. I have the E cam and I really like the sound of it. Plently of lope for me. Although I've only go-karted at this point, I've found the drivability to be great. I got to ride in a cobra with the B cam, and IMO the drivability was crappy up to about 2500rpm.

You're welcome to come over this weekend and "hear" it run, and take a ride with me.

Jeff 949-279-5252

·
Charter Member
76 Posts
I really like my "X" cam. No drivability issues. The carb will influence the drivability as much as anything. I found until I took the car to the carb shop and put it on their chasis dyno there were issues but once we got the carb dialed in, all was smooth in transition from idle to wide open throttle. The previous comment was good that you may want to insure the springs are up to the job. I ended up using the Comp Cams 987 spring set.(Summit $89) The intake valve clearance needs to be checked also with this cam. We found the intake valve was too close with the original forged OEM 302 pistons.
Enjoy
Bob

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,595 Posts
Churchhill-I guess I'm really crazy then using the Z cam for primarily street driving.
Paul

·
Charter Member
308 Posts
Here is what I have, Lazer custom ground hydraulic roller, FW HR 281A 287B, 228/234 @ 50, total lift = 550, 1.06 centerline.

It is "somewhat extreme", not meant to be a daily driver, but is a blast to drive.
:cool:

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Clear as mud... but I notice that nobody voted for the 'B'. Looks like the concensus is 'X'.

Jeff, I'll take you up on the offer to come over and listen to your engine this weekend. (Plus I never turn down offers to ride. :D ) Then I'll call the builder on Monday.

·
Charter Member
6,161 Posts
I vote for the "X". My engine pulls from 1500 to 6000. It sounds great too.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Dave,
I hooked up my headlight switch tonight and was hoping to see my dashlights light up - they didn't :(

I'm planning to work on the car tomorrow. It would great if you could come by and help me troubleshoot that wiring challenge. Plus.... you can hear and ride in the beast. Call me tonight (I'm up till about midnight) or call in the morning.

Something is wrong with my Private Messages on the forum. So I don't have your phone number handy.

See ya,
Jeff

·
FFCobra Craftsman
711 Posts
I have had great luck with the XE258HR and the XE266HR from comp cams. Both are very streetable, the 266 has a little more duration and both breath very well.

The 258 may be better suited for the 165 heads.

Raymond

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
I love my b-cam. It is the cam the Ford Motor Sport technicians recommend for a Cobra because of the sound, feel, and power band that is ideal for a 2200# car with a 5 speed. It runs a little rough until the car warms up but after that the driveability is great with EFI.

·
Registered
718 Posts
B and X are almost the same cams except the X has more lift. The X, B and E should all sound the same, the noise comes from the overlap and duration. All three have zero at 0.05" with very close durations.

Six post down in this thread is what my old B303 sounded like:

http://www.50tech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3995

[ November 20, 2004, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: 331 Notch ]

·
5,559 Posts
Another vote for the "B"! I love mine, but it is coupled with 1.7 roller rockers which give an extra .030" of lift, so I can't compare with the stock 1.6 specs. I think the main reason no-one recommended it for you is because you have EFI. I've heard that the "B" isn't very EFI, or emmissions friendly, but it rocks with my dual quads!

Brian

·
Registered
718 Posts
"Here is what I have, Lazer custom ground hydraulic roller, FW HR 281A 287B, 228/234 @ 50, total lift = 550, 1.06 centerline."

106 ICL, does it have a 110LSA?

I don't beleive someone else actually uses their cams, excellent cams but very important to use correct springs. They have one that would be perfect for this guys setup 274/274 222/222 .540/.540 112.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.