Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to build a roadster and am at the point of sending in my $55 bucks to FFR for a dream-guiding build manual.

The thoughts so far are toward an injected, bone stock setup to have some fun in without living .002" of a pedal press from calamity. I'd like to incorporate some of the more modern features like ABS. My wife is quite interested in the beefier spec racer frame with its solid doors and full width rollbar.

How much difference is there between the three manuals (302, 4.6, challenge)?

Thanks for your insights,

Wantin2B

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Spec racer is one car. Street version is another. Cars are similar but two different builds and build manuals so may want to make the decision on what you will build before getting that perticular manual. Note,thought ffr no longer discounts the cost of the manual if bought ahead of time. Might want to check on that first.
The roadster manual is geared to building like you plan, around the stock mustang parts as if useing a donor. Want the modular engine maybe check into there forum to see whats involed there. It does make for a more complicated build, more so electrical compared to a 302 build.

·
Premium Member
4,627 Posts
I got a brand new manual for the roadster that came with the kit $45 free shipping its listed in the sale section.

·
Sr FFR builder
5,565 Posts
I honestly think they won't vary enough to make a difference. I think you choose between the 302 and the 4.6 depending on which motor you are heading towards. That way you can review the door install intructions in the event you opt for the street car vs spec.

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I have a cheap solution; I'll mail you my MkIII Roadster manual, and you can keep it until you get a kit! Then, mail it back. Won't cost you more than a few bucks to check it out! PM me if interested.

-Greg

·
Junior Charter Member
144 Posts
If you are using it for the street,,,you will want a windshield ,,doors and the double rollbar,,
and your wife wants a heater,,trust me on that one,,,the roadster mkIII is the ticket

·
Registered
369 Posts
I agree with Snakes. I got mine and was extremely disappointed. This forum will provide alot more information.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
The build manuals are an excellent guide and provide more than enough information to build an FFR from the guys that engineered the FFR kit from MK Is thru MK IIIs. Come to Knotts and you can sit and look through the build manuals and ask questions from guys that have actually built and completed more than a few FFRs. I'm in spaces C5 and C6 with 2 FFRs. Introduce yourself and ask questions. The group can answer anything you ask.

Roger

·
Registered
369 Posts
Roger said "The build manuals are an excellent guide and provide more than enough information to build an FFR from the guys that engineered the FFR kit from MK Is thru MK IIIs."

I've built custom street rods and would have thought the manuals would be more comprehensive given that alot of folks are building a car for the first time. Like I said, this forum is the most valuable tool you will have. You cant beat experience. Either way, have fun with your build and use the forum often or talk to guys like Roger who have theirs finished. Dont rely on the manual alone.

·
Cobrafied
1,636 Posts
I can't remember the last time I looked at my manual. Dan

·
Tropically Twisted
1,727 Posts
My personal opinion is that the build manual gets knocked a bit too much. It's a *guideline*, but the amount of customization that goes on with these cars pretty much obviates the use of the manual. However, with the setup you want, the regular 5.0 manual works great. I'd suggest going for a regular MkIII, but get the dual rollbars or the full-width. These cars are tough, but if your wife is apprehensive about security, go for the spec racer and build it as a street car.. It will rock.

Good luck, and get to building soon! :D

Cheers,

Will

·
Registered
820 Posts
I've got 3 manuals and would be happy to mail one to you. And I don't need it back.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the lively responses. Gotta find where those last couple of nickles for the kit are still hiding.

Roger: I'll look for you at Knotts--sounds like FFR virtually annexes the Cobra area if not the better part of the show....

Tom: I sent you an e-mail. Thanks!

Wantin2B

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.