Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a FMS 351/385 HP that came with a Duraspark II distributor. It doesn't have any identifying marks on it to tell me where #1 wire goes. Any hints would be appreciated.

·
Senior Charter Member
3,272 Posts
You can make whatever one you want the #1, just make sure that you wire the rest in proper order after that.
Todd

·
Premium Member
12,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know that part, but the engine arrived set up, and I don't want to mess with timing and stuff now. Is there any identifying mark on the dist that will tell me which is No. 1?

·
Charter Member
1,494 Posts
NUMBER 1 IS A LITTLE RIGHT OF CENTER TO THE REAR OF THE DISTRIBUTOR. SO IN OTHER WORDS, PUT THE CAP ON SO THAT THE NUMBER 1 IS IN THE BACK AND LINE UP THE SPRING LOCKS AND YOU'RE IN BUSINESS. YOU MUST BE A CONVERTED CHEVY/GM GUY!! CONGRATS IN SWITCHING OVER. DRUMMERMIKE

·
Senior Charter Member
737 Posts
Bring the #1 cylinder (the cylinder closest forward to the radiator) to top dead center. I used to use a metal wire to feel though the spark plug hole, when the piston was coming up to TDC.

Then take the cover off of the distributor and see which cylinder on the rotor it points to.

Be careful though and get the piston to the top during the compression phase (both valves closed) and not during the exhaust phase (exhaust valve open). Otherwise you will wind up marking the cylinder 180* out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts